Snow Leopard freezes, hangs and is generally unusable...

Discussion in 'macOS' started by chelseablue, May 5, 2010.

1. chelseablue macrumors newbie

I have a unibody Macbook Pro running OSX 10.6.3. Everything is up to date but the computer is now on its second hard drive and fresh install of OSX and is still unusable.

After the hard drive was replaced, it worked flawlessly for an evening. However, the old symptoms reemerged the next morning.

Symptoms:
    very slow to boot or freezes on gray screen with status circle frozen
    grey circle with slash through it on boot

once it boots, if it does boot, the beachball constantly spins/freezes...

I have literally no software installed on the fresh install and it still does it when attempting to boot in safe mode

Also, the hard drive when checked gives the following errors even after I repair them in drive genius (the same errors the old drive reported):
    invalid file count
    invalid directory count

Any help would be most appreciated as I am running snow leopard from my external backup drive at the moment...The fact that it runs fine off the external drive leads me to believe that it must be a software issue or my new hard drive is failing/bad just like the old one...

2. Adaboost macrumors newbie

I am stuck with the same symptoms. Is there a cure?

3. rkuntze macrumors member

I would think that because it runs fine from the external drive it is a hardware issue NOT a software issue. I had a similar issue with a MacPro and I called Apple support and they replaced my old MacPro with the latest MacPro. I did have Applecare so I have no complaint.

Good luck.

4. hakuryuu macrumors 6502

Yep, its a hardware issue. Most likely the internal hard drive you were booting from is bad (yes even if it is new, i've had more than a few DOA drives when building my own PCs). It could be more serious than that but a hard drive failure is the more likely and more common culprit. Also, check to make sure your memory is seated correctly.

5. flyfish29 macrumors 68020

flyfish29

Yeah, but if his memory had issues it would have issues booting from the external. I agree- hard drive issues again. Maybe something is screwing up your hard drives rather than all the HD's failing....

6. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

WTF??? I went through 5 HDs that all died due to magnetic issues, Apple didn't do a damn thing.

7. flyfish29 macrumors 68020

flyfish29

what is the magnetic issue you describe?

8. Adaboost macrumors newbie

Got a new hdd, but my f'n optical drive also seems to be broken. Think my next computer won't be an apple. Very unreliable.

9. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

And you think Apple manufactures those components? Prepare yourself for a rude surprise.

10. Adaboost macrumors newbie

My 5yr old pc is still running strong. I don't think I should need to replace my laptop components with stuff that's reliable.