Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stephan.works

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 29, 2008
Hi Guys!
I've been using happily Snow Leopard for a couple of weeks now but last night it just started freezing.
Everytime I open Spotlight and look for something I see the spinning beachball... the mouse still works but NOTHING else does (Dock, menus, Finder)... everything just freezes.

Waiting didn't help.

So I tried to restart, rebuild the Spotlight index (twice), clean the cache, repair permission, check for corrupted pref files, verify disk, etc etc but to no avail... my Mac works fine until I open Spotlight... what's wrong?
Should I reinstall?

Thanks!!

PS: the log doesn't really show anything strange
PPS: I'm thinking of an hardware failure (--> hard disk) but I can't hear strange noises coming from it....

stephan.works

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 29, 2008
I also noticed this strange files in my Trash... they just won't go away (and they're not show in Terminal.app)...
They weren't there last night...

Yes, I'm on 10.6.1.
BTW I'm using a MacBook 13inch Late 2008 with 4GB of RAM.

Thanks for the reply.

stephan.works

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 29, 2008
Before reinstalling... Do you guys know how to start the Diagnostic mode on my MacBook (Unibody)?
I've read that it's enough to press D right after the startup sound.

Unfortunately that just brings me to a grey screen and I have to restart.
I've also tried to insert my MacBook Installation DVD but I still get the grey screen.

Thanks for your help?

stephan.works

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 29, 2008
:):):):):):)

Solved!

I've found out that the problem was my Windows partition...
I enabled NTFS read and WRITE and that was causing the problem (maybe Spotlight was writing to the NTFS drive and for some reason that was making my Mac freeze).

So I restored my old mount_ntfs and everything was ok!

Luckily I didn't have to reinstall :) :apple:
Thanks for your help, see you!

mlgnstw

macrumors newbie
May 18, 2009
SL freezes when using spotlight

Steven
I am having the same problem with spotlight freezing in SL..could you explain how you solved it in a little more detail..where do i change the enable ntfs..?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.