Snow Leopard fresh clean install fixes bugs?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by chocolate632, Jan 24, 2010.

1. chocolate632 macrumors 6502

Hey guys, I have an iMac 17" 2.0Ghz w/ 1Gb Ram

When Snow Leopard came out, I backed up via Time Machine and did a clean install, then restored via Time Machine

Ive been having three main problems, among a few small ones. When I right click the dock, half the time it freezes, denying access to the dock or finder for a good minute or two. Also, front row puts tagged tv shows in the movie section, and catagorizes them as "various" in the tv show section. On top of all that, safari is acting up.

Ok so I was planning on upgrading the ram to 3GB, the HD to 500GB, and do a fresh install of snow leopard. I'm assuming that time machine backs up all the system files and garbage that clogs up the system, so I'm planning on just dragging the files to a external hard drive, installing snow leopard on a brand new 500GB drive, then moving my files back.

Will this fix my bugs? Or should I just install leopard instead?

Btw leopard ran pretty slugish after a while, and sl did make my computer faster, but I assume the ram upgrade will keep leopard up to par.

What should I do?

2. MWPULSE macrumors 6502a

MWPULSE

one of the things that i would suggest, which helped me alot when reinstalling. is instead of doing a migration assistant and finding time machine. I went into the time machine folder heirachy found the files/folders i needed n copied them across. Applications i reinstalled/downloaded. This got rid of alot of the supposed issues that had been the talk of the net- memory leaks, and applications not starting.

Hope that helps.

PTP

3. chocolate632 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks, this is exactly what I wanted to hear. I really don't want to go back to Leopard:) Can anyone else confirm that this works?