Snow Leopard fresh install.

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Callum, Oct 15, 2010.

1. Callum macrumors member

I've had Snow Leopard since launch. I want to do a fresh install, and then copy the files I want onto it from my external hard-drive. I have some questions though:

Will I have to redownload all the system updates that came out since Snow Leopard's launch? Is there a way around that?
    Is there a way to save Safari's bookmarks?
    If I want to keep a certain application, do I save the DMG or the installed icon onto the hard drive?
    I copied the Pictures folder onto the hard-drive, which includes the 'iPhoto Library' file. Will this put my events back onto iPhoto?
    How do I save address book contacts?
    How do I save iTunes playlists/play counts/library etc?

Maybe there's an easier way of doing a fresh install while still being able to select these things to keep?

Thanks,
    -Callum

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

You might want to clone your system or use Time Machine, and then use Migration Assistant

Is there a reason you want a fresh install?
    Are you experiencing problems?
    Fresh installs are not normally needed unless there are issues

3. Callum thread starter macrumors member

There are issues. It's getting sluggish, there's a boot camp partition I don't want anymore, and 1000's of built up files that I don't want that would take far too long to individually delete.

I looked up cloning. It sounds good, but it seems like it clones everything, which I don't want. Is there a program where you can select which folders/applications to clone?

4. cerote macrumors 6502a

cerote

Time machine works perfectly for saving your documents, settings, apps, etc. Also to delete a bootcamp is very easy. Just go into the bootcamp utlilty and it should have an option to remove.

5. xgambit3 macrumors newbie

If you have the original Snow Leopard (10.6.0), then you can download the latest combo update 10.6.4. There maybe a few updates you will need to get via Software update still but installing the combo update will speed up the update process. You can download it to your external drive and have it ready after the fresh install.

You can export your Safari bookmarks under the File>Export BookMarks. After the reinstall, just import the bookmarks back into Safari.

You will need to reinstall all of your applications again that you want to put back on your system.

Regarding the events in your iPhoto Library, if you copied the iPhoto Library file to the external drive, you can open the library from the external drive to confirm that the events are still there. They shouldn't go away.

To backup your Address Book Contacts, go to File>Export>AddressBook Archive. This will create an Archive file. Copy the file to your external drive. After the reinstall, just import the file back into the Address Book.

If you copy the music folder, assuming this is where all your music, iTunes Library, etc resides, to the external drive, you will be ok as long as you create the same user account on the reinstall.

Hope this helps!!!!

6. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Yes, cloning will clone everything, but then you can use Migration Assistant to pull what you want from the clone, or you can drag/drop from the clone to your new system

I use Carbon Copy Cloner (CCC) and it is free

7. Callum thread starter macrumors member

@cerote: I got rid of the partition. Thanks!

@MacDawg: I realised that to do a clone, you have to have a hard-drive big enough to store all the files at once, which I unfortunately don't have. Thanks anyway :)

@xgambit3: Cool. All the exporting things worked. Thanks! One thing: what did you mean by "create the same user account on the reinstall"?

Thanks again everyone!:)