Snow Leopard fried my MBP, or just bad timing?? AppleCare woes...

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Zeos, Dec 6, 2009.

1. Zeos macrumors 6502

Installed the Snow Leopard upgrade on my mid-2007 MBP last night and everything seemed to be fine after the install. That is, until I unplugged the power cord while the MBP was hooked up to an external monitor. The MBP went to sleep never to wake again. It doesn't even boot up anymore; the power light comes on, but nothing else happens, no matter the C, R, X, or **** keys I press during boot-up. It won't even let my Snow Leopard CD out (I pressed the shift and eject keys during boot up to no avail). I have Apple Care, so I brought the MBP to the Genius Bar. They said the computer is toast but they won't repair it. What the @#*&@? They said there are signs of accidental damage. The computer is 2.5 yrs old, has a few scratches on it, and has some bending (not dents) on the frame and a missing key, both of which are from our pet Quaker bird chomping on it. But the inner guts are not damaged. They are refusing service because of cosmetic issues??? If you have Apple Care, take good care of your computer... Evidently they look for any possible excuse to refuse service. No wonder Apple has so much cash in the bank! :(

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Talk to the manager, if there are no real signs of abuse, then I'd not take no for an answer. Apple in general has a good reputation with regards to customer support so I'd call the manager and explain the situation.

3. Zeos thread starter macrumors 6502

I did talk to the manager too. Maybe I need to try a different Apple store. This one is new. They did give me a free copy of Snow Leopard, though (since my laptop ate mine).

4. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

Yep. Sorry to hear your woes mate, the same thing happened to me. My computer had issues from the day I bought it, and Applecare had notes in the system about it. But since it also had a dent, ALL Applecare was void (which is actually against the T&C)... so I replaced the dented part myself for $40, and saved myself $1200 in repairs from Apple. Then I had Apple fix everything. Luckily they did, as I would have sued otherwse, for violating their T&C of Applecare.

You could also try a different Apple store, or mailing it in.

5. cjmillsnun macrumors 68020

So how does Apple invalidating AppleCare due to YOUR accidental damage violate the T&Cs?

Both documents found on apple.com/legal

6. lazybum macrumors newbie

Sorry to hear about your problems mate...

After working for Apple for many years, that is truly the only complaint that I've ever had of the company... Dell and other PC companies cover accidental damage while AppleCare does not (part of the reason I tell people NOT to get AppleCare for their iPhone since physical damage is almost inevitable).

Just as a side note (and I haven't been there in a while to confirm) but I believe that Best Buy now Apple products and you can get their extended warranty which I believe DOES include any accidental damage done...

Anyway, you may be able to get the work done to get the computer back to AppleCare Certified relatively inexpensively... All depends on the amount of damage done...