Snow Leopard + Geektool (Version 2.1.2)

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by ViciousShadow21, Jun 1, 2009.

1. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

I recently received a copy of the latest build of Snow Leopard (10A354 i believe). Now when i upgraded the first time GeekTool was working fine. Then i was working on changing the MenuBar to black and the whole system just crashed on me. I had to do a complete reinstall of regular Leopard and then upgrade again to Snow Leopard. Last night was rough.:mad: Sooo im not going to try that again for a little while.

I started to download all the programs i had backed up on my external right before it all went to hell and i reinstalled the same version of GeekTool that had worked with SL before it crashed (Version 2.1.2). But when i went to re-enter my scripts it was just not showing up. i dont know what the problem is! the blue box shows up and i select shell type in the code and nothing. like i said it was working fine before. any ideas?

2. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says....if you are using a "pirated" copy of 10.6 you are asking for help in the wrong place - please re-read the forum rules.....oh yeah!

3. ViciousShadow21 thread starter macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

umm im actually not.:rolleyes: my dad is a developer and got a copy but didnt want to update so he gave it to me.

4. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says.....you are not a developer, so yes you are actually. Just because your father has a copy it does not mean he's allowed to dish it out as he sees fit in violation of his non-disclosure agreement....oh yeah!

5. Peace macrumors P6

Peace

That Duff-Man knows his stuff!!

Unless you have personally purchased a developer license you have no right to install it.

6. ViciousShadow21 thread starter macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

ok whatever guys. thanks for nothing.

if i went and signed up to be a developer, paid the $$, then you guys would give me an answer? i didnt pirate this. it is a legitimate copy. my father is a direct family member so im pretty sure he has the right to lend it to me.

7. cg0def macrumors regular

Look as long as your computer is considered a family computer and you are still living your parents you can use your father's license. Semantics aside, I don't thing geektool supports 10.6 just yet. After all 10.6 is not finalized just yet and if I were you I would refrain from using *tweaking* tools on it. It's released purely for testing purposes and that's not really what you're doing :)

8. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says....that is certainly not correct for developer copies and not correct for retail versions either (unless the "family pack" is purchased). If you can show me something official from Apple that says it is okay for developers to install their development copies of operating systems on the whole families computers then I'll gladly retract my statement....oh yeah!

9. ViciousShadow21 thread starter macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

whatever Duffman. dont really need or want your help anyway if your going to be like this.

@cg0def
    thanks for your support.
    since i am an audio engineer at heart im am testing how different programs run on it such as Pro Tools and Logic so i think i am doing some good haha. i have been in contact with apple reporting some bugs with these programs.

i was just seeing what i could do to it on a customization level as well. i just found it weird that it worked once and now it all of a sudden isnt. anomalies bug me...a lot haha. i sent an email to GeekTool creator so im going to wait to hear back from him. thanks again.

10. Peace macrumors P6

Peace

Just out of curiosity have you considered actually asking your developer father ?

11. ViciousShadow21 thread starter macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

he's not into customization. apple likes him because he's been testing out astronomy software for them for years.

im going to search around in the developer tools and see what i can find.

no hard feelings Peace. i just get extremely frustrated with Duff-Man.

12. Peace macrumors P6

Peace

n/p.

Duff-Man is cool. you need to get used to him.

Please consider the fact that there are a lot of developers that pay a lot of money for betas and tools and depend on them for a living. They have a tendency to get peeved when they see people that don't have real dev. licenses playing around with SL.

It's understandable. Apple says it's wrong also.

13. ViciousShadow21 thread starter macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

oh i understand. im in the music business so i know all about being pirated.:(

my dad has paid for it but just didnt have any use or interest in testing it and i thought i could be useful in helping them out with the work i do. i wouldnt come on here with a version downloaded of bittorrent. on top of that i dont trust dl'ing software from them especially not an OS. they must be filled with every kind of trojan out there.

EDIT: just talked to my dad and he said that apple is aware of the fact that he handed it off to me. you happy Duff?!

14. hiddenpremise macrumors regular

hiddenpremise

Somewhere between my imagination and reality
    Just for the record. My dev membership allows me to distribute up to 5 seeds to other developer accounts (for my team). This kid is about two clicks from legal on the dev panel, just needs a free account and his dad to seed to him so relax already. Jeez it's not like he's downloading games and asking how to crack them

15. mpemburn macrumors member

At the risk of inviting the wrath of the MacRumors forum gods . . . Duff Man's position is emblematic of what has gone wrong with 21st Century culture in general and the computer/development community (of which I've been a part since the early '80s) in particular. We have become hidebound by the rules and shy away from opportunities to help someone who may, in fact provide us with valuable information even though they are, shall we say, coloring outside the lines. The industry was founded on innovative thinking and a certain amount of risk-taking -- little of which proves to be of any lasting harm. So Mr. Duff Man: lighten up.

-- Mark

16. omeletpants macrumors regular

An "anything goes" for the sake of technology mentality is BS. Just because YOU want something doesn't mean you are entitled to it. Respect the IP of others. If Apple wanted everyone to have a developers copy then they would provide access to everyone----but they don't.

17. mpemburn macrumors member

18. hiddenpremise macrumors regular

hiddenpremise

Somewhere between my imagination and reality
    Well at least I agree with you