Snow Leopard - Get the most out of your Mac?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by John Doe 57, Jul 22, 2009.

1. John Doe 57 macrumors 65816

John Doe 57

If one of the main ideas is to get the most out of your Mac, will a mac with Snow Leopard run slower, or at least seem to run slower for the user? I've got MacBook Pro with 4GB of RAM, so I mean I should be fine, but will I notice more of my RAM being used? If not that, will the temperature of my Mac increase, revving up my fans?

Am I seeing it right, or am I way off?

2. Muncher macrumors 65816

Muncher

I think it would be the other way around; with a more optimized (intel only) operating system, you can expect faster boot times (both OS and apps) and better performance because the OS isn't using as many resources.

3. John Doe 57 thread starter macrumors 65816

John Doe 57

Oh, I see. It sure will be neat to see the performance in September. Can't wait!

Thanks

4. LTX macrumors regular

LTX

You'll also reduce the core install size by about half (around 5GB), leaving you with more space for your stuff. The 64-bit optimizations in Snow Leopard will improve performance as well.

5. John Doe 57 thread starter macrumors 65816

John Doe 57

Yeah I knew about that. Its awesome to know I'll be saving space by installing a more advanced OS.

6. -tWv- macrumors 68000

-tWv-

Snow Leopard should make regular programs faster and snappier because it is using new 64bit technology and is completely rewritten under the hood. It should be exciting to see in September. I think the small changes will make a big difference in overall productivity. The dock expose feature looks to be really useful. And also, it sounds like a weird thing to be excited about, but the "put back" feature in the trash will be very useful. I often find myself deleting files that I want to put back but often forget where they originally were.

7. HBapple macrumors newbie

Yeh, I read it was going to take more advantage of utilizing hardware, such as video cards, as well as the 64-bit thing. I'm excited :)

I just recently switched, and find it quite foreign to think a new operating system will make my system run faster... WTH???

8. weckart macrumors 68040

Why foreign? People seem to agree that Windows 7 runs a bit faster than its predecessor Vista.

9. EmperorDarius macrumors 6502a

It runs MUCH faster than Vista, but just a bit faster than Xp. That's what Microsoft has achieved after 8 years from Xp's release.

10. ButtUglyJeff macrumors 6502a

ButtUglyJeff

People who are considering upgrades for their Leopard machines, should put Snow Leopard ($29 single $49 family pack) at the top of their lists, as it might get the best boost for the buck.......