Snow Leopard: Gets better with every boot

Discussion in 'macOS' started by helix21, Aug 30, 2009.

1. helix21 macrumors regular

For those of you having issues with snow leopard: be patient, wait and reboot. It gets much better with every boot.
    First boot was horibble as usual and it took about 1.5 min between my wallpaper showing up to the time the dock showed up
    Second boot was where i used the computer and it was painfully slow
    Third boot was acceptable but expose and spaces choppy and safari a pain. It was where i was for about a day.
    Fourth boot - extremely fast bootup and everything seems extremely fast and zippy. Animations are largely back to normal, spotlight is instantaneous, icons cache instantly in spaces when digging into folders and the whole OS seems complete

So if your disappointed with snow leopard, before clean installing or even reinstalling leopard, give it a day or two

2. aristotelis macrumors newbie

That is a very good observation. My SL installation was pretty much ok from the first boot, but I also noticed that it got faster and better after 2 or 3 reboots. I also think it helped it to redo each caches or whatever it does when I let it on for the night. The day after everything was faster/smoother/better.
    It still amazes me the time it needs to shutdown. 3 secs... count them, 1...2...3... off.

3. djon41 macrumors regular

haha, i thought i was the only one noticing this. strange that we hadnt heard it before, as well.

4. spencerphoto macrumors newbie

I am having problems with Photoshop CS4. It crashes every 5 min. or so since installing Snow Leopard/ Very frustrated.

5. Jeff Hall macrumors regular

Jeff Hall

This might just be spotlight indexing all the changes? Maybe it took a while to complete in the background?

I've had no issues whatsoever with SL. I'm sure we'll see the major benefits once developers have written code to take advantage of its new architecture.

6. mgridgaway macrumors 6502

mgridgaway

I've clean installed and it's been smooth as butter for me. No major problems to speak of.

7. helix21 thread starter macrumors regular

Thats odd, CS4 is said to be tested and be fully compatible with snow leopard. Perhaps reinstall CS4?

Might be, but for now i am loving snow leopard. Who knows what the 5th reboot might bring :cool: . And what 10.6.1 might

8. AppleThis&That macrumors regular

AppleThis&That

I did the upgrade and no clean install and it works very nice on the newer "24 iMac 2.66" computer. Very smooth on my end.

I have alot of apps setup to launch at startup and I can't believe how fast everything loads up. It's amazing having 64-Bit. :eek:

9. randyc macrumors member

Wierd, it seems to be working fine for me on my MacBook.

10. Compile 'em all macrumors 601

Compile 'em all

it is called the mdworker. You don't need really to "reboot", leaving your machine for quite some time after the first boot is enough.

11. amoergosum macrumors 6502

I did a clean install.
    Photoshop CS4 runs smooth without any problems and much faster than before.