Snow Leopard Graphics Update Stability

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by gotenks05, Oct 13, 2010.

1. gotenks05 macrumors member

For a while, my MacbookPro, which is a MacBookPro5,3, has been telling me that I have updates. Among the updates was a graphics update. Back when my iMac5,1 ran Leopard, I blindly got the graphics update, so it is no longer usable, unless I use Ubuntu Hardy on it. I do not want to run into that issue again, since I have programs that I need on my Mac for me to be productive, as I started writing books and publishing them through Lulu (e.g. Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, etc.). Is the Snow Leopard graphics update going to cause stability issues, like the Leopard graphics update did on my old iMac5,1? Right now, I am getting all updates, except for the graphics update, that are available for my MacBook Pro.

2. dissolve macrumors 6502a

I have no idea what happened to your iMac with the old update, but I've installed this Snow Leopard Graphics Update on my Macbook Air and Mac Pro without any issue. Try searching through the MBP forum to see if anyone with your model has had any problems. I didn't notice any improvements afterwards so you could always keep waiting if uptime is critical.

3. gotenks05 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the tips, but no search results in there brought up what I wanted. I ran the search, after you suggested looking there. Basically the troubles I experienced on my old Mac were bad enough that I had to hard reboot multiple times every day, and my video files kept getting a line of green and pink/purple or white, when none showed up on those same files under Ubuntu using VLC, or even in Windows, also under VLC, as well as Quicktime. Lines also showed up on my desktop, and even in Safari and third-party programs. All of this was after the Leopard graphics update and forced me to wipe the computer's hard drive and run Ubuntu Hardy. I could never find info on fixing it, so I don't want to go through it again on my laptop, since uptime is definitely critical. I appreciate your reply and would like to see if anyone else can verify whether the update is stable or not.