Snow Leopard happy with 2GB?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by netdog, Sep 6, 2009.

1. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

On my MBA, I run VMWare XP, Mail, Safari, Skype and Messenger almost all the time quite happily under Leopard. Does SL have a bigger RAM footprint that might cramp me on this machine that is limited to 2GB?

2. SparkleX macrumors newbie

It will run fine, I think. I'm running Snow Leopard on a Mac mini with 2 GB RAM and Parallels runs just fine, so VMware Fusion will too.

3. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

About the same as Leopard has. I noticed it has less free RAM but more inactive RAM (almost same as free, not in use). I have 4GB RAM and currently 1.5GB in use and 2.5GB not in use and uptime is 7 days 4 minutes and I've dealt with Photoshop etc...

4. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

I'm running it just fine on my MacBook with 2GB RAM.

5. Compile 'em all macrumors 601

Compile 'em all

I am personally not content with 2GB. I continuously have xcode, IB, Tweetie, Mail, iTunes, Safari, Photoshop CS3, skype, 3-4 finder windows opened, with occasional use of preview and spotlight. And let me tell you, It swaps like there is no tomorrow...A LOT. I will probably upgrade to 4GB after I send it in for repair cause a problem I have with the hinge.

6. Vster macrumors 6502

Same, and even WoW seems to be running better. (All the effects down to the lowest)

7. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

There are people who fill Mac Pros to the brim with RAM just to run Adobe apps. No wonder page outs are happening with 7 other apps running as well.

8. greatmaju macrumors member

greatmaju

The Requirements of SL is 1GB RAM. I have 2GB and it runs fine. But photoshop needs more. Perhaps More then 4GB to run some more of the Adobe collection. Though I rarely run more then 2 Adobe Apps.

9. simplymuzik3 macrumors 6502a

I was running Premiere CS4 on my 13" MBP with 2GB ram. Guess how much virtual memory it was using? 33GB!!!! I really need an upgrade to 8 gigs!