Snow Leopard has improved ALU Macbook screen

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by marsbaby, Sep 22, 2009.

1. marsbaby macrumors newbie

Is it an illusion? Or has the lcd screen of my aluminium 13 inch MacBook improved significantly indeed after installing Snow Leopard? It looks more vibrant, the banding of gradual colour changes has gone and the viewing angle (especially vertical angle) has improved so I can now see a keynote slide with even colouring from top to bottom. As they are set side to side with a new mac book pro 15 inch next to me I do not see any difference between them where it truly was a disappointing experience before.

When the first alu MacBooks were released also on these forums many complained about the LCD quality. I am curious to learn if others have the same experience after installing OSX SL?

2. mattyb240 macrumors 6502a

I believe it has changed the gamma from 1.8 to 2.2

3. BoyBach macrumors 68040

BoyBach

4. marsbaby thread starter macrumors newbie

gamma change? I doubt it

I colour calibrated the screen with a spider to get the most out of it. That improved it already quite a bit for the default settings were plain flat and horrible. I did play with various gamma's while calibrating but what ever I did the difference with the macbook pro was staggering. Since then the MBP has been updated to SL too. I now see two comparable lcd screens. Before SL upgrade the Alu macbook was almost a disgrace for an Apple product. (NB the mediocre screens have been widely discussed in the forums here and elsewhere just after launch). It is not just a more vibrant appearance but as indicated in my original post I have much more viewing angle and even colouring independent of viewing angle and lower banding. This has nothing to do with the gamma change in my opinion.

My macbook has been serviced recently for it needed a new super-drive, as a side question I asked to have a look at the mediocre screen. Looking at the banding with gradient colours I suggested that it was as if only thousands of colours or even less where used (instead of the millions selected) according to the apple service centre the screen was set correctly and functioning according to plan. It was just as lousy as it always was.

Then enter OSX SL and suddenly the screen is functioning much much better. As if a new screen driver is in place.

PS I am a photo enthusiast and pretty fussy about colour reproduction on my screens.

5. tman07 macrumors regular

Im glad I wasnt the only one that thought that!!! That was the very first thing I noticed after I installed snow kitty. Also didnt know they changed the gamma.... makes since to me! haha

6. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

A software upgrade isn't going to do anything to change viewing angles of an LCD. I have a 9C89 screen in my Unibody, and the only improvement is due to the gamma change.

7. everlast77 macrumors regular

Can you please post your color calibration profile here in the forum.

//E