snow leopard heat and battery issues

Discussion in 'macOS' started by abs9986, Sep 9, 2009.

1. abs9986 macrumors member

I recently updated my 2009 macbook alu (2.0ghz) to snow leopard. Everything seems to be working fine except the battery life now gets about 3 hours instead of 4 hours with everything being used max brightness etc... I suspect as others have posted that this is due to the heat issues. My laptop feels noticablly hotter and istat says the cpu gets to 65 celcius when I'm on safari. Under Leopard, it never broke 60. Are other people having heat and battery issues and if so has anyone found a fix yet for this.

Thanks,
    Alex

2. abs9986 thread starter macrumors member

I should also note that my fan speeds get to appx. 3000rpm...I had never seen it go higher than 2000rpm under SL.

Thanks,
    Alex

3. soms macrumors 6502

soms

No issues here. It may be a tid bit warmer, but that's hard to say, as I've been doing much more lately.
    Battery life is exactly the same, 3.5 hrs

4. Corrosive vinyl macrumors 6502

Corrosive vinyl

I am not sure whether it is istat or not, but every time I look, the fan seems to working at around 2,000 rpms no matter what the temps say.

5. deepje macrumors newbie

Had the same issue. Try resetting SMC, worked for me.

6. abs9986 thread starter macrumors member

What is the SMC and how do you reset it?

Thanks,
    Alex

7. deepje macrumors newbie

8. harcosparky macrumors 68020

I did a 'clean' install on a 15" MBP

I also notice loss of battery time. at first.

I had read where it might take a few shutdown/restarts for things to 'smooth out'.

Well on my first couple of reboots I had bad/incomplete shutdowns, and a 1 Hour LOSS of battery time.

After a couple more reboots the computer now shuts down promptly and completely.

So I came here researching the Battery Problem, went off and got my MBP and prepared to reset the SMC.

Lo and behold, before I reset the SMC I noticed the battery time is now what it should be.

My MBP is 'new', purchased 3 days before the last update where they stripped the MBP of is Express Card Slot. ( I was happy that I bought when I did! )