Snow leopard..... I wish I hadn't

Discussion in 'macOS' started by RubbishBBspeed, Nov 4, 2009.

1. RubbishBBspeed macrumors regular

Is anyone else of the same opinion in wishing they hadn't bothered installing Snow Leopard.

Pros.
    New quicktime borderless miniscreen. excellent.

Cons.
    No video as desktop function
    Quicktime options gone.
    That damn beach ball.
    Safari crashing at way too often.
    Damn beach ball again
    Safari taking longer to load pages.
    Beach ball again
    Trash and the securely delete function. What exactly was wrong with 'empty trash' then disk utility erase function?
    IDVD, taking 30 to 40% longer to burn disk. (this one really takes the !!!!)
    Opening applications takes longer. Boring!!!!!!
    Beach ball yet again
    Systems hangs a lot more. There's that flaming beach ball again

And that's just my very short, short list.

Can't wait for replacement, alternative is to go back to Leopard.

If SL ws my first introduction to Mac's, I'd be waiting for windows 7 with bated breath..... And I absolutely hate windows with a vengeance.

Pull up your socks apple or you could be in for an arse kicking.

2. gorjan macrumors 6502

I don't have the beach ball problems you're seeing.

Did you upgrade or erase&install? I know many here will tell you that there's no reason to erase&install and that it's something you brought with you from Windows but I hate upgrades! I always erase&install! It so nice to start with a nice, fresh OS.. You should try that before going back to Leopard.

I upgraded to SL the day it was released and I haven't had a single problem with it. Not one. But if given the choice again, I'd probably just stay with Leopard as I haven't notice any increase in speed on my early 08 MBP. Not that ~USD 40 is much, but I really didn't notice anything worth the USD40. Yeah, grand central and opencl are great and allm but not even Apple uses them. Or at least I don't notice their use by them.

Sorry, rant over. ;)

3. macinhand macrumors regular

macinhand

No problems here :D

Sorry to hear the problems you are having :eek:

4. Zedsdead185 macrumors 6502

Wow, they are bad, i've never heard of this before. A new program comes out and its full of bugs that needs to be ironed out? This never happened with leopard, or tiger... oh wait.

On a less sarcastic note, if you buy a new OS, no matter how well advertised or hyped up, there are going to be problems with it. Whatever the company, whatever the system. Luckily apple always seem to iron out the problems eventually. 10.6.2 will be much more stable. I don't tend to upgrade until its in the 10.x.4 stages.

5. RubbishBBspeed thread starter macrumors regular

In fairness I'm not sure. Story is a family member is ordering a Mac Pro and was going to go with a Quad core but decided to wait for the new Six core (a big assumption about it's due date but the lads in the shop thought it a good idea and it is an order that will actually go ahead) and so they did the up grade for me.

If I was a winger I'd go back to the shop and have it removed, I guess I'm more peeved that it's not doing what the hype said it would as in fairness to us all suffering, they hyped it as more a fix and streamline of the OS, not a new OS. I just wish they'd fix the fix and be done with it. I like Mac's way too much to be dissing them but it is annoying. And am already waiting for it's replacement.

But thanks for the idea. will look into erase and reinstall

6. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

You can still install Quicktime 7. You can still buy QT Pro license.
    Agree with the beachball, Safari issue. Having a HD for the OS, and separate one for the other stuff seems more and more useful as looking to swap out a MBP Superdrive...

7. sputacus macrumors regular

No SL regrets here - very pleased with it, for it has worked as advertised.
    Had I any regrets, I would have immediately re-cloned my system with my last 10.5.8 install and moved on. And I'm glad Win 7 is getting great reviews. I will eventually add it as a virtual machine and migrate from XP (also running well as a VM on my MBP).

8. Transporteur macrumors 68030

How? That's the only thing that bothers me with SL.

Anything else is just as it should be. No beachballin, no lagging. Everything snappy as hell.

9. calderone macrumors 68040

calderone

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3678

10. macrem macrumors 65816

macrem

I'm loving SL. It's super fast & no beachballs for me. OP you probably messed up your system at some point (with hacks) & now need a clean install. If you're on a Hackintosh, come clean... :rolleyes:

11. RubbishBBspeed thread starter macrumors regular

Nope..... No hacks, i use it for what it's designed for and that's it. Most of the beachballing is Safari related but closing programs hangs for a few seconds too.

I use it mainly for light weight video editing and burning (two to three disks a month). plus the web and e-mail. pages, numbers and keynote. but that's it. throw in itunes though as well, so it's hardly over loading the system.

Alternatively though it could be being spyed on. after all, we in the UK live in a dictatorship and bt are up in-front of the EU court for illegal snooping. And I did have an association with a company who manufacture armoured vehicles. (just throwing that on out there on spec).

12. Gregg2 macrumors 603

MacWorld claims you can select that as an option when installing SL.

13. Gloor macrumors 6502a

10.6.2. will fix a lot of issues you are having. Just as it fixed it for me. I was going to send you a PM but you have it blocked so I am unable to do so.

Just be a bit more patient till 10.6.2 arrives as you will be happy then :)

14. RubbishBBspeed thread starter macrumors regular

Shall await with hopeful happiness.

15. Dale124 macrumors member

I see the damn beach ball. And, some things seem to take longer than they used to. I hope to one day be able to print again, as S/L has screwed that up for me too. I started a similar thread to this one due to the printing issue.
    Dale.

16. stevemiller macrumors 65816

i'm definitely hoping that some issues get cleared up with 10.6.2. but to all the people who keep posting "i didn't have any problems so you must have done something wrong/hacked something/didn't fresh install": i'm glad SL is working for you, but there are those of us out there who DID fresh install, DIDN'T install any tweaks and have still had problems like safari beachballin, keyboard/trackpad becoming unresponsive, wifi dropping, etc etc... straight out of the gate.

17. LAN macrumors newbie

Fresh Install. Lots of apps reinstalled. All working fine for now.
    Only thing that's not working recently is quicktime x and .mkv. it used to work but something mustve changed.

18. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

19. Wayne s macrumors regular

My only regret is that my old trusty HP 930c printer is not supported in SL. The Gutenprint driver works OK for text but photo's come out very bad. Might hook it up to my old XP laptop and print from there.

20. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Safari is definitely slower for me on SL, open a new page, I get the beachball. It crashes more often too. Not a lot but the frequency has increased.

Overall for me Snow Leopard was a solid upgrade and I'm happy with it. Once 10.6.2 comes out, I'm hoping some of these growing pains will be behind me.

21. toolbox macrumors 68020

toolbox

I too am having minor problems with SL but i do think it's a great OS. Specially running it in a 64bit kernel the way it starts and shuts down nice and fast

The only grips i have so far is that imovie 09 does not work properly i am still having clips when imported there being put in as different aspect ratios. i select 4:3 they come out as 16:9. And yes i have the beach ball spinning but a few seconds later it iron's it's self out

Hopefully apple gets into gear with 10.6.2 - i don't want to keep dual booting leopard with SL .

22. mysterytramp macrumors 65816

mysterytramp

Several people in these SL threads have complained about Safari, and I'm surprised you folks are sticking with it. I've been on Camino since Tiger and have near-zero problems with it, especially with Snow Leopard. If Camino's not your thing, there are only ... what ... a dozen other browsers?

If the plane's crashing, grab a parachute.

mt

23. kate-willbury macrumors 6502a

24. spice weasel macrumors 65816

I hate QuickTime X. I think it is causing QuickTime exporting from iMovie '09 to be very unstable for me (it worked fine with QT 7 before I installed Snow Leopard), and it is causing all sorts of problems when adding and playing media inside of Journler or Together. The borderless screen is nice looking, but I wish there was a way to move the controls off of the movie screen completely. The only thing I really like about it is that it's far easier to trim now.

25. macrem macrumors 65816

macrem

Are you kidding? Safari 4.0.x OS X is awesome! It brought me back exclusively to Safari-land. I used to switch between Safari, Camino, Opera & Firefox. Since clean installing SL, I have not added any 3rd party browsers. Everything works, it's fast, it's the best integrated browser & awesome features like cover flow in top sites, bookmarks, history. Inline searching is something I do often & the way text is highlighted is very slick. Anyway this is not a Safari thread so I'll stop...