Snow Leopard iChat Videochat

Discussion in 'macOS' started by southerndoc, Aug 29, 2009.

1. southerndoc macrumors 65816

southerndoc

I haven't had the chance to video chat with someone else who has Snow Leopard.

Is there a noticeable difference in reliability and resolution?

2. Bentron macrumors 6502

From Mac to Mac (both with Snow Leopard installed) the resolution is notably better. But trying to talk to someone on AIM is a nightmare, very unreliable and apparently I just looked like a giant pixel to the person I was chatting to, very annoying. So I guess it's mixed results so far.

3. Ibjr macrumors 6502a

It may appear better because of the lower bandwidth requirements for the high res chats.

4. gethyphyyo macrumors regular

So it must be Aol that needs to update the Aim program to work with the new update.

5. danielwsmithee macrumors 6502a

It is more then just AIM I think ... Snow Leopard to Leopard gets the same results, both with iChat. The leopard side gets very pixelated garbeled.

6. Bentron macrumors 6502

Just found that i'm having the same problem too, except unlike chatting to someone using AIM where i'm pixelated, the person I was talking to was. Hopefully this can be addressed by Apple soon.

7. southerndoc thread starter macrumors 65816

southerndoc

The video quality of Snow Leopard to another Snow Leopard user is much improved (640x480).

However, if I try to initiate a video chat, I can't hear any audio from the other person. Always reports their audio as 0%. If they initiate a video chat, we both can hear audio.