Snow Leopard + iLife '09 performance in encoding?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by computerman-8, Feb 13, 2009.

1. computerman-8 macrumors member

Since I've heard snow leopard incorporates 64-bit features, does this mean iLife '09 itself will encode movies faster, idvd encode faster etc.? I'm not familiar with 64-bit advantages.

Thanks

2. Berlepsch macrumors 6502

Berlepsch

Well, iLife is still a 32 bit application, and it will run like that under Snow Leopard as well. Possible speed changes can occur when a 32 bit application interacts with the 64 bit system. This might speed up things a bit, if the OS becomes more efficient (e.g. using a 64 bit video codec). On the other hand, you need to have a translation layer between the 32 bit application and the 64 bit system, which costs some CPU time.

All in all, I wouldn't expect to see notable speed changes with iLife 09 in 10.6. Applications will really benefit form Snow Leopard's new architecture only when they are built to use the new OS's features like Grand Central and 64 bit support natively.

3. ncc1701d macrumors 6502

Does this mean that older programs / applications that are running under 32 bit will still work on the snow leopard 64 bit platform without any problems? Just before switching to Mac, I remember when Vista was coming out and you could get a 64 bit version of it or something. When I was enquiring about it, I was told that anything running 32 bit would not work on the vista 64 bit. (Anything from games to trying to run your printer). I don't know if any of that was true, but would like to know if I'm going to have any problems using 32 bit software (apple software) on snow leopard (and not just ilife). Thanks!

4. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

32bit apps will work fine in general.

32bit apps also work fine in 64bit Vista.

5. ncc1701d macrumors 6502

:eek: In general?? ;) I'm guessing you mean some of the more computer intensive applications may not work as well, but I guess they'll be updating them soon enough. I should be safe, I don't have any huge apps.

6. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

Well okay. There will be a small number of applications that have problems either because they are badly coded or rely on deprecated Apple APIs. All other apps should work fine whether they are 32bit or 64bit.

7. EmperorDarius macrumors 6502a

Only a limited amount of 32-bit programs work fine under 64 bit Vista. 64-bit Windows is a failure.

8. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

Rubbish.

I use 64bit Vista all the time. 90% of the applications I run on Windows are 32bit and I have never had a problem. In fact I never even bother checking if the application is Vista compatible. They all work.

9. sl1200mk2 macrumors 6502

+1

I've been using Vista 64bit at work since the RTM release was available to Gold Partners through TechNet. I've yet to encounter a 32bit application that wouldn't properly work.

People who spout off this non-sense about 'vista is a failure' have simply never used the OS or might have used it early on and had a bad experience due to a driver issue. It's a great OS and I've been running the same install for a couple of years now along with everyone else I work with and know.

Give it a break people... it's just an operating system. You don't have to trash it to justify your enjoyment of OS X which is also a great OS.

Back to the OP's question -

As said prior, all the prior 32bit apps should work fine. Having said that, it's a lot to ask for, but I'm really hoping (expecting) that Apple has some updates ready to roll for iLife and some of the 'pro' apps that really showcase Snow Leopards enhancements upon release or shortly after other than the rumored Quicktime changes. It's truly Apples responsibility to lead the way a show other developers what's capable and in a timely manner. It would be a real shame to have Snow Leopard out and iMovie, iDvd, iTunes, Aperture, Final Cut, etc not taking full advantage of the 64bit architecture and Grand Central features a year or more later. It would be pretty pathetic to see Apple not eating their own food.

10. EmperorDarius macrumors 6502a

Except that programs like antiviruses have much more limited capabilities, programs which require you to install drivers are buggy and sometimes even some hardware may not work correctly.

Actually it's the reverse thing. Anyone who has tried Vista for any serious purpose for a considerable amount of time admits that Vista IS a failure. Any other OS is better than Vista, may it be Xp, OS X or Linux. Vista is just like Windows ME. That's why so many people consider Windows 7 nothing more than a Fixed version of Vista, which corrects the great amounts of problems which Vista itself caused, and are waiting it with impatience. You may admit it or not, but Vista IS a failure, no matter what you say. Trying to deny this is just stupid.

11. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

My personal guess is that Apple will release Final Cut Studio 3 after Snow Leopard is released and that it will take advantage of all the new speed improvements.

Snow Leopard really could be the best thing that happened to heavy duty professionals as it adds so many features that applications they make use of can take advantage of.

12. sl1200mk2 macrumors 6502

Serious purpose? Such as? Serious like maybe managing 500+ Window 2000, 2003 and 2008 WEB, SQL and Mail servers? Using consoles directly through Vista for managing SCVMM, SCOM, SCCM, and numerous 3rd party enterprise infrastructure applications?

That's just at work.... I used to run a small recording project studio on the side at home, so I have a 'thing' for high end audio and video gear. Cubase SX, Sony Vegas, Wavelab, Ableton Live, Native Instruments, lots of 3rd party VST's. Are these serious?

I'm hardly just browsing the web, using Outlook and Word, but I'm also not going to be a retard and debate with someone on a forum who's clearly anti Microsoft because that's the 'easy' thing to be. Believe whatever you want to. As a person who's made a living off every MS product since NT4 including all the consumer OS's from '95 up, I kind of have an idea of what was good and what wasn't. XP and Vista, specifically Vista 64, are excellent products.

I would love to see this! I'm using FCE now, but even though I'm purely an amateur with video (who likes nice toys), I'd probably have to drop for FCS if they really did something cool. My feeling is Apple will want to showcase these products, so I think it'll happen.

I'll be first in line to update iLife, Aperture, Photoshop, etc as they can take advantage of Snow Leopard.

2009 / 2010 are going to be good years for Apple. :D

13. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

Antivirus works fine for me.

As for the rest that is purely down to the software developers either not updating the drivers or releasing piss poor software. It has bugger all to do with Vista.

Blame the people who should be blamed, the developers. They have had two years to fix the drivers if they still can't do it then you should get your software from people who can actually write reliable programs.

14. EmperorDarius macrumors 6502a

But many functions are often limited in 64 bit versions.

And why doesn't Microsoft just make the 64-bit version more x86 compatible?

15. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

Nope. Use Avast! It is probably the best AV program I have used on Windows.

Because by definition they are not compatible.

Vista 64bit uses a 64bit kernel therefore it requires 64bit drivers.

Snow Leopard will have a 64bit kernel and thus likewise will require 64bit drivers.

Just because you can run 32bit apps in a 64bit OS it does not mean you can use 32bit drivers in the same OS. User land and kernel space are two completely different things.