Snow Leopard in 64-bit - Longer boot times?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by BeSweeet, Sep 10, 2009.

1. BeSweeet macrumors 68000

BeSweeet

Doe anyone else think that, when booting into 64-bit mode, your boot times are longer? I swear mine are 2-3 seconds longer. Performance seems just a tad bit better, so I'll stick with 64-bit mode, but I wanna see what other people think.

2. walshlink macrumors regular

my gawd! 2-3 seconds slower? what will you ever do? everytime you boot you are losing 2-3 seconds of your life... that's it! enough! I will start a class-action suit against Apple...care to join? We should be compensated for this loss of 2-3 seconds of our precious lives...

/sarcasm :D

I'll test it out tonight and see what I get... cheers!

3. BeSweeet thread starter macrumors 68000

BeSweeet

Overall, startup ad shutdown times are definitely longer in SL than in Leopard. I should have done a clean install, but it's too late.

4. zeeklancer macrumors regular

I am betting you only see slow starts on the first boot of 64, because it will have to re-cache. After that I would think your boot times would be back to normal, unless apple has a different startup producers for 64bit vs 32bit.

-Zeek

5. Menge macrumors 6502a

Menge

My experience with an upgrade, so far, has been really bad - slower everywhere. I can't wait to finish an important project of mine so I can do a clean install.

6. runebinder macrumors 6502a

runebinder

Yup you're spot on with this. When using 6 + 4 on boot was taking a lot longer, changed the com.apple.Boot.plist and on second reboot was about 4-5 seconds quicker.

Unfortunately can't get Macfuse to work so gone back to 32 bit in order to see my Bootcamp partition.