MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

HardMac posted a collection of rumors they've received. They don't seem particularly confident about the information but do provides some believable tidbits:

- Snow Leopard will not be ready before September. Significant amounts of work left on QuickTime X, Open CL, and Grand Central
- New Xserve in June alongside a Mac Pro bump to 3.2GHz with Quadro FX 5800
- Notebooks to move to Nehalem in November
- Final Cut Studio 3, DVD Studio Pro, Shake, Logic updates.

The Mac Pro 3.2GHz speed boost is conceivable as Intel did officially release the Nehalem Xeon processors that run up to 3.2GHz. Apple currently only offers Mac Pros that run up to 2.93GHz.

Article Link: Snow Leopard in September, Xserve in June, Mac Pro Speed Boost, and More?

Grimace

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2003
with Hamburglar.
I imagine that the 3.2Ghz will be even more expensive, and won't push the 2.26 out of the lineup to reshuffle the price mix.

2.26: $3299
2.66: + $1400
2.93: + $2600
3.20: + $3200?

That 4GB Nvidia card is a beast! But my understanding is that is more useful for crunching numbers, and not as much for gaming.

Comment

macrumors 65816
Oct 31, 2007
Washington D.C. Area
The bump might make a lot of people angry though. Maybe that would also include a bump of the 2.26 to the 2.4?

As for Snow Leopard, I think September sounds a little late. Other rumors have more pegged it as an August release. All these rumors sound plausible however.

Comment

Boneoh

macrumors 6502
Feb 27, 2009
So. Cal.
Grand Crental! My imagination is running wild, LOL. :p

And the linked article at hardmac called it Large Central! LOL

Comment

dwsolberg

macrumors 6502a
Dec 17, 2003
It's interesting about Snow Leopard not being ready, but it makes sense based on other information. It doesn't look like they'll have a feature-complete developer build until the developer conference, and it'll take some time after that to squash bugs. I'm excited Snow Leopard, but I want it to be stable and FAST.

Comment

Moof1904

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2004
Snow Leopard

Dear Apple,

Please learn from recent events (Leopard and MobileMe come to mind) and please do not release Snow Leopard until it's fully ready, even if that's September (or even December).

Yes, we want it today but we very much want it to not suck.

Love,

We who are making you tons of money

Comment

Umbongo

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2006
England
The 3.2GHz and Quadro FX options are no brainers to suggest, but I'm not convinced we will see them so soon.

The question is why didn't Apple have them at launch? For the processors I've seen it suggested Apple launched Nehalem early when Intel didn't want them to, so it may have been they didn't have enough supply of the 3.2GHz processors. The Quadro FX 5800 had been out 4 months when the Mac Pros launched so are Apple struggling for engineering resources?

When was the last time Apple bumped processor speed 3 months after the launch of a product?

Comment

DELLsFan

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2009
What he said ...

Dear Apple,

Please learn from recent events (Leopard and MobileMe come to mind) and please do not release Snow Leopard until it's fully ready, even if that's September (or even December).

Love,

+1

Since this release doesn't look to WOW with much that is new, they can take all the time they want - to make OSX even more perfect. :apple:

Comment

fleshman03

macrumors 68000
May 27, 2008
Sioux City, IA
Meh that killed my hopes and dreams.

I was hoping to get a new MBP w/ Nehalem w/ 4-8gb RAM w/ Snow Leopard over the summer. Poo Poo.

Oh well. I guess 3k will be in the bank (or under the mattress... IDK which is safer) till then and my coming iPhone will need to do.

Or maybe there will be a bad ass Tablet/netbook @ WWDC. That would allow me to get that + a MP + the new Display.

Comment

iMacmatician

macrumors 601
Jul 20, 2008
Interesting rumor set…maybe it's time for me to get out of my more-pessimistic-than-usual state I've been in since March 3. :D

- Snow Leopard will not be ready before September. Significant amounts of work left on QuickTime X, Open CL, and Grand Central
Agreed.

- New Xserve in June alongside a Mac Pro bump to 3.2GHz with Quadro FX 5800
Feasible, although I believe the 3.2 GHz will be an addition (like the 2007 Clovertown) rather than a replacement for the 2.93 GHz (with everything else shifted down).

- Notebooks to move to Nehalem in November
Since Clarksfield is 45/55 W (35/45 W in Penryn terms), only the low-end Clarksfield(s) are likely to be able to fit in the MacBook Pro unless cooling has been improved. Since the MacBook uses 25 W CPUs, who knows if they'll be able to support Clarksfield. MacBook Air…nope.

Also, Clarksfield is to be as high-end as the current 2.0/2.27/2.53 GHz quad-cores (which are $348 to $1038), so I doubt they'll be used in the MacBooks (which use $241 and cheaper CPUs).

But if Apple gets Arrandale early (Intel said production in Q4 I think), then we could see Clarksfield/Arrandale notebooks in November, although I don't think that's likely.

- Final Cut Studio 3, DVD Studio Pro, Shake, Logic updates.
Agreed.

By November the unibodies would've been out a full year, I think that's sufficient time for an update...
Unless they get updated in the next few months with the Penryn updates.

Comment

iBug2

macrumors 601
Jun 12, 2005
Dear Apple,

Love,

When will people get it. There's no such thing is fully ready. Every OS will go through revisions all the time and they'll never be fully ready. As long as it's ready for "most" stuff, it's ok to be released.

Comment

Moof1904

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2004
When will people get it. There's no such thing is fully ready. Every OS will go through revisions all the time and they'll never be fully ready. As long as it's ready for "most" stuff, it's ok to be released.

I spent 12 years in the software development field. I understand that nothing is perfect. "Fully ready" is a term I used to mean that the appropriate balance of timeliness and quality had been struck.

Comment

shamino

macrumors 68040
Jan 7, 2004
Purcellville, VA
It's interesting about Snow Leopard not being ready, but it makes sense based on other information. It doesn't look like they'll have a feature-complete developer build until the developer conference, and it'll take some time after that to squash bugs. I'm excited Snow Leopard, but I want it to be stable and FAST.
Agreed. This release, more than ever, must have the mantra "better late than broken" (assuming it's not insanely late, of course.)

When you're releasing a version that has no major externally-visible features, then it had better be rock-solid. Otherwise, the press and the bloggers (and a lot of other people) will start writing "all this did was make perfectly good systems start breaking." The presence of an all-new internal architecture won't matter one whit to non-developers.

Comment

iMacmatician

macrumors 601
Jul 20, 2008
HardMac said:
Apple will start to re-examine its range of video software and will start with Final Cut Studio 3. It will certainly be announced during the next months, but in a 32 bit version. An update to 64 bits compatible only with Snow Leopard will be offered after the release of Snow Leopard. This OS will be obligatory because one will need QuickTime X. This will be even able to work with the RED cameras.
Okay…yeah…I tend to agree here.

Comment

miggitymac

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2009
SL in Sept and Nehalem in Nov...throw in non-defective NVidia cards and I'm sold!

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.