Snow leopard In store?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by JamesGorman, Jul 15, 2009.

1. JamesGorman macrumors 65816

JamesGorman

Im just wondering, when snow leopard is released, how will it be sold in stores? Do we bring a receipt to verify that we currently have leopard to be able to purchase it for 29 dollars?

2. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

I think only if you buy it from Apple you would get that discount.

3. JamesGorman thread starter macrumors 65816

JamesGorman

aaahhh, that makes sense. I hope that there is someway we can get it in store for that price though. Possibly a price match at best buy or something. Id rather just go pick it up, than have to order it.

4. GfulDedFan macrumors 65816

GfulDedFan

I'm thinking that you can purchase a $29 copy in the store and it will work if you have Leopard. If you have Tiger the installation will fail and you'll have to buy the combo install pack.

5. tabasco70 macrumors 6502

that sounds plausible. definitely a good idea.
    any other way seems to much of a hassle

6. RumMunkey macrumors 6502a

RumMunkey

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US) AppleWebKit/530.17 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Safari/530.17)

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if Apple decided to try a digital distribution of Snow Leopard.

If it's as svelt and light as they're making it out to be, we may just be able to download it.

7. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

I don't think digital downloads of that size, especially of the OS itself, are ready for prime time yet. Many people still don't have broadband, and others are capped. Imagine the backlash if an average mac user exceeded their bandwidth and either: the download stopped before it finished, or they had to pay an outrageous amount extra for it to finish.

8. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

I'd love that.

When downloading from Apple, I can usually pull ~2MBps. Even at a 6-7GB installation, that's like an hour to download at maximum throughput!

9. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

Not only that, but the installers has to be booted for an external device. Can you imagine the general public trying to burn a dual layer disc in disk utility? Crazyness

10. RumMunkey macrumors 6502a

RumMunkey

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US) AppleWebKit/530.17 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Safari/530.17)

Craziness...

That's what people said when the Mac did away with the floppy drive LONG before anyone else.

The MacBook Air already doesn't have an optical drive.

Plenty of things Apple has done were considered craziness before Apple did it.

They're not building that massive $1B server farm in Carolina to serve movie trailers...

11. MarkCooz macrumors 6502a

wait so how will they find out if we use leopard or not?

12. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Not sure yet.

You're right. But it isn't built yet. If they were going to digitally distribute SL through downloads, they'd have all the servers up and running for months - for testing.

I don't see it happening for SL. For the reasons named above. I think it will be an option with 10.7.

13. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

If you have Leopard installed, the disk will work. If not, you blew $29.

Simple as that. Tiger will be missing some files (and not have changes that Leopard made to other files) that Leopard has. The disk won't work without them, as it will check for them.

14. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

We don't know that yet, don't state it as absolute fact. You don't have a copy of the $29 upgrade disc, do you?

15. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

'Kay, so what's your idea? :p

16. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Ummm....

We'll have to wait and see.

17. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if Apple went the "we trust our customers" route and just shipped Snow Leopard like every other retail OS X disc without a verification/upgrade checkpoint.

However, they could also ship Snow Leopard like they do the up-to-date discs (labeled Upgrade, Up-to-Date or Drop-In) with O/S verification built-in.

Either way, it shouldn't be a big problem unless you're trying to reconfigure your partitions or install a new hard drive. In that case, you'll probably have to install Leopard again, then Snow Leopard on top of Leopard.

Attached picture was posted by terkwong in this thread:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=375500

Attached Files:

18. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

The Air needs remote disk from another Mac or the external Superdrive.
    The server farm is for iTunes store/App Store.

19. matthewscott661 macrumors 6502

matthewscott661

The up-to-date program should be offered at third-party retailers. When I bought my MacBook at bestbuy they offered me a mail-in rebate on iWork, similar to the instant rebate at the Apple store. I didn't realize until I went to send it in, but the rebate was actually from Apple!

I assume they will do the same type of thing for Snow Leopard.

20. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

The Up-To-Date program has not typically been available in store through resellers, but of course if you purchase a computer there that doesn't come with Snow Leopard then you can send in for the disks (occasionally you will get a drop-in DVD, but in that case of course it did come with Leopard). The other rebates, as you said, are often available.

jW

21. matthewscott661 macrumors 6502

matthewscott661

I think they should treat it the same way. For me it doesn't really matter as my closest Apple store is only about a mile further than my closest Apple reseller. For some others, an Apple store is harder to come by, and if you're like me, don't like buying things online if it's possible to avoid.

22. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

The up-to-date program is only offered by Apple. You have to order the discs on their site: http://www.apple.com/macosx/uptodate/

23. 5DollaFootlong macrumors 6502

5DollaFootlong

i wouldn't be surprised if apple started delivering software on an sd card; now that macbook pros have sd slots it is perfectly feasible

24. MacManiac76 macrumors 65816

MacManiac76

Not very likely as none of the older Macs have the SD slot. They could however conceivably offer it on a USB thumb drive.

25. lavinci macrumors 6502

Is it possible to get snow leopard for $10 at a STORE if you still have your receipt to prove you purchased the machine after June 8th?