Snow Leopard inbuilt screensaver crash

Discussion in 'macOS' started by eN0ch, Aug 29, 2009.

1. eN0ch macrumors newbie

There are other threads about 3rd party screensaver problems in SL. But I'm having trouble with SL's own built-in screensaver.

An hour after installing SL, I came to find a black screen, and endless beachball spinning and no hope of waking the machine up. Forced restart. Got into Sys Prefs > Desktop & screen saver > Screensaver. Tried to select an item in the list. Back to beachballing and Sys Prefs maxing out the CPU.

Finally managed to find a way to disable the screensaver entirely.

Is anyone else getting this? Does it have anything to do with the 64-bit / 32-bit thing? (Sorry - I'm not very geeky) Any ideas?

Thanks.

2. eN0ch thread starter macrumors newbie

OK, further clue discovered. I'd say it's a bug.

It seems to be caused by adding or selecting a folder or item in the list that either has no data or only has aliases. I was trying to use my existing Pictures folder which has a bunch of aliases to a bigger collection of images.

So presumably nothing to do with the 64-bit thing?

3. IanMacKaye macrumors newbie

Same problem over here. How did you manage to disable the screensaver?

4. eN0ch thread starter macrumors newbie

I frankly don't remember now, Ian. But what I think I might have done would be:

• force quit system preferences (force restart computer if that doesn't work)

• re-open desktop/screensaver panel

• by default it should open at flurry or one of the built-in modules - if not select any one of those as quickly as possible

• that should keep it stable while you grab the slider bar at bottom right and drag it to the far right ('never')

HTH

5. The Californian macrumors 68040

The Californian

6. eN0ch thread starter macrumors newbie

7. sausageboss macrumors newbie

Just came across this issue myself.

What made it extra vexing is that it happened because I moved data around on an external drive and I guess broke the files the screensaver was linked to. I burned a few hours assuming the drive was somehow mucking with the power management.

Solution was to delete -

~/Library/Preferences/ByHost/com.apple.screensaver.*.plist

whack all those files, then reconfigure your screensaver.

snow leopard is still in beta. that's why it was only $29.

8. StevenCNYC macrumors newbie

Same problem uses Photos as screen saver

It first crashed in Preferences in the preview of the screen saver, but then I got it to run at which point I had a black screen that I couldn't stop without powering down the computer. I just changed to the coverflow screen saver, but I really want to use my Photos again. Worked fine prior to upgrade to Snow Leopard. I do have a lot of photos in a lot of subfolders, but still.

Any fixes. I've seen posts on the mac.com site.

9. eN0ch thread starter macrumors newbie

Not sure whether you'd call this a "fix'. (Maybe more a concession to reality ;) ... ) But I replaced all the aliases in my Pictures folder with original image files. Worked perfectly ever since. That's all I know ...