Snow Leopard Install Assistance

Discussion in 'macOS' started by lukin, Sep 2, 2009.

1. lukin macrumors regular

Hello, thanks for any assistance.

I purchased my first Mac (MBP) last October and this was the first install I've had to go through. It was fairly easy, but there are a few things I need advice on. Sorry if this gets long.

I did a clean install and brought necessary files over from time machine. I only wanted to bring back my data (music, movies, pictures, garageband, mail, addresses, documents) but none of the system files.

Now to the questions:

1) Does having TM bring back your entire user directory bring back any system/config/etc files that could cause issues? I figured bringing back the data and then reinstalling my apps would take care of everything and avoid possible issues, but is there a downfall to just brining back the entire user directory rather than handpicking documents, music, etc?

2) I successfully got everything back except addresses and mail. I changed the name of my volume so TM does not open up directly to your location. While searching on google for how to restore mail, everyone said 'Open mail, click time machine, restore, done'. Well, since the volume changed names my TM only opens to the top directory... it shows the 'Macintosh HD' folder. Along with this, if I restore a file from TM it throws an error saying the folder no longer exists and TM can create it or I can choose a new location. I had to just point my music from my old music folder to my new music folder since the volume changed. I can't figure out how to do this for mail/addresses. Any help?

3) Back when I got my MBP I found a way to put a little lock icon on the menubar to lock the screen. I can't seem to find how to do that again. Anyone know?

4) I'm not super concerned about this one as I can dig through my mail and find my licenses, but some of the apps I had were purchased and contained licenses. Is there a specific place where these would be stored?

Thanks!

2. lukin thread starter macrumors regular

Another:

I failed to realize that iPhoto wouldn't be on the SL disk. Can I install it from the disks that came with my MBP last Oct and all should be well? Then move my pics folder over from TM and it will contain all my photos?

Thanks again!

3. Lordedmond macrumors regular

4. lukin thread starter macrumors regular

I take that as the answer to the 2nd post? :)

5. Corrosive vinyl macrumors 6502

Corrosive vinyl

I just got a MBP (2 days old)which came with the snow leopard install dvd. I am wondering if
    1) I should install it over the 10.5 system or wait for 10.6.1 and
    2) The best way to install would be to do an archive and install; I assume this because I want to keep iLife, etc. but still upgrade my OS.

6. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

I just did an upgrade over Leopard, it was really easy and caused no problems, all my applications continued to run.

It is a little bit rough around the edges so waiting for 10.6.1 might be worthwhile...

7. lukin thread starter macrumors regular

Hopefully my first questions aren't too bad! Anyone able to answer them?

8. lukin thread starter macrumors regular

9. lukin thread starter macrumors regular

Are these questions that hard that no one is able to answer them? Or is it a TLDR and I need to rewrite them? I've never not received answers before.

10. lukin thread starter macrumors regular

Found an answer to number 3:

1) Applications > Utilities > Keychain Access
    2) File > Preferences
    3) Show status in menu bar
    4) Click the new padlock on menu bar and select Lock Screen option

Just in case that helps anyone else.

Still working on the others.