Snow Leopard Install Disk - Problem

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Burswood, Mar 31, 2012.

1. Burswood macrumors newbie

Hi all.

I'm new here. I need help.

I have a Snow Leopard Install Disk for the 13-inch Macbook Pro model.

I also have a 21-inch iMac. I have OS X Lion installed on both. I have Snow Leopard installed as a partition on my Macbook Pro, which I installed via the install disk. I want to do the same thing for my iMac but I am unable due to (seemingly) my install disk is for a Macbook Pro and not for an iMac.

Does anyone know a way around this? Why won't this work? I was thinking I could change something in the package contents to alter it to allow it to work with an iMac?

I'm lost. Please help. I need to use Pro Tools 8 and that won't work on Lion.

2. Bear macrumors G3

As you state your iMac has Lion on it, it sounds like it was a 2011 iMac purchased with Lion on it as opposed to one which you did an OS X upgrade.

The only version of Snow Leopard that will work on it is the one that shipped with that model iMac before Lion came out.

In general the physical system restoration discs that came with a Mac only works on that particular generation of that type of iMac. That is the 13" MBP discs you have should work on any MBP model that was released at the same time. The OS X on that disc is missing modules that are needed on other types of Macs.

3. Burswood thread starter macrumors newbie

You are correct sir! My iMac is indeed a Mid-2011 model and it came installed with Lion.

I understand where you are coming from when you say it is missing modules that are needed for the iMac but not the MBP.

What exactly do you mean by "modules" though?

4. Bear macrumors G3

Mostly device drivers. It lacks support for some of the other hardware found on various other model Macs.