Snow leopard: Install DVD VS Upgrade DVD

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Panzo, Sep 14, 2009.

1. Panzo macrumors 6502

i have both, they have two different model numbers, what is the difference? which one should i use to fresh install?

2. fuzzielitlpanda macrumors 6502a

install dvd lets you do a fresh install (format drive). upgrade dvd upgrades you from leopard (no format option)

3. segers909 macrumors regular

That's not true, i used the upgrade disk to install snow leopard on a brand new hard drive.

4. mlemonds macrumors 6502a

mlemonds

+1

same here

5. kai920 macrumors member

I just used an upgrade DVD to install Snow Leopard onto my brand new 500GB drive.

6. grayskyz macrumors regular

grayskyz

I can confirm this as well.

C.

7. DivineEvil macrumors regular

There is no difference sourcecode-wise. They both contain SL build 10A432... they both can install or upgrade to SL.

The difference is in the Cover/Artwork of the CD... One says Upgrade, the other Install :D.

8. kai920 macrumors member

Oh yeah, and the packaging - does the retail copy come with anything fancy in the box?

My upgrade disc came in a paper CD sleeve and the thin booklet, in a brown padded envelope.

9. DivineEvil macrumors regular

Yeah forgot about the packaging... My Upgrade DVD came the same :D. At least the DVD is not Grey-ish like the Leopard DVD's than came with my MBP. It's white with a SL on it :D. Just compare the retail Leopard DVD with the Install DVDs that used to come with the new Macs. Has anybody already bought a new mac with SL restore disks inside or they still drop a retail copy for free? If yes how does those look like.

10. S-Man macrumors regular

S-Man

Wow, talk about cheap, Apple! Mine got shipped in a brown rectangular box, too large for the cd case.
    The DVD itself was inside a thin cardboard box with the snow leopard picture and all, then the DVD was in a sleeve inside said box with a thin booklet, and some apple stickers.
    I thought it was going to come in a larger retail type box, but I guess I got lucky as it is!

11. fuzzielitlpanda macrumors 6502a

sorry for the misinformation i thought i had read through a few posts about not being able to do a full install using the upgrade disk.

12. bbsmummy macrumors newbie

Is there something special to do in the disk utility to be able to install the full v

I can't install the upgrade as a full install. I have erased the drive, but the install (upgrade OS X 10.6) on restart tells me that I need to have 105 or higher installed, then it only gives me the option to restart or restore from a time machine backup. This is a new/used computer that the old owner wiped. I followed all of the steps with erasing the drive first myself, but I still can't figure out how to get it to install?

13. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

Ask the previous owner for the install disks. If he or she doesn't have them, you will have to buy from Apple.

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MC573Z/A/mac-os-x-106-snow-leopard