Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mgriffin

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 20, 2011
My drive crashed in my macbook pro so I replaced the drive. Format of the drive is correct but when I try to install snow leopard I get a failure as soon as it starts the install process. Could this be a bad hard drive?

mgriffin

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 20, 2011
I set up and partitioned the drive extended(Journaled) and selected GUID as the instructions state.

benthewraith

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2006
Fort Lauderdale, FL
My drive crashed in my macbook pro so I replaced the drive. Format of the drive is correct but when I try to install snow leopard I get a failure as soon as it starts the install process. Could this be a bad hard drive?

Are you making sure to install from the recovery disks or are you trying to install from the Snow Leopard upgrade disk?

mgriffin

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 20, 2011
Are installing this on an Intel Mac? Which Mac are you try to install 10.6.x onto?

I am installing on a mid 2009 Macbook Pro Intel. I have tried the recovery disc and a new copy of snow leopard. None seem to want to work. It fails in the exact same spot every time just as the install starts.

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
It gives no real reason. Just says software failed to install. Just a big FAILURE on the screen with a reboot button.
Open the Installer Log, and have a look at it. (Press :apple:+L to open it.) Set the detail level to All. Does that tell you anything useful? Even if you're unable to decipher it, save it somewhere, and let one of us look it over.

mgriffin

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 20, 2011
Open the Installer Log, and have a look at it. (Press :apple:+L to open it.) Set the detail level to All. Does that tell you anything useful? Even if you're unable to decipher it, save it somewhere, and let one of us look it over.

I'll give this a try today. I was also thinking of making a ghost image of the drive on my other macbook pro and install from that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.