Snow Leopard install from external harddrive won't boot

Discussion in 'macOS' started by kasperand, Feb 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kasperand macrumors newbie

I have no idé whats wrong, I want to install Snow Leopard(from the external) on my Core2duo Macbook pro, which is running Leopard at the moment.

I have a Snow Leopard image, and I have used Disc utillity to partition the external harddrive (GUID), and I assume the partition and install went well on the external, because in Disc start the external appears as OSX 10.6.

Then the problem: The macbook wont boot from the newly made external it just gives me this sign (of couse without the colours;)).

[​IMG]

I have tried to start the macbook normal, and with the option key held down were the external pops up.
    I have also tried to chose the external in disc start and reboot with no luck.
    I have tried to start the Snow Leopard install(external) within Leopard where the install start fine, but when it reboots and wants to continue the install, the sign appears.

The external harddrive is a 5400rpm 40gb 2,5" which is only powered by the usb port maybe thats the problem?

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Where did you get this Snow Leopard image from? It may be the issue...

3. kasperand thread starter macrumors newbie

I don't believe there is something wrong with the image, because in leopard the install starts just fine, but when it reboots and wants to continue it can't boot from the external harddrive (the red LED on the external that shows if its active isn't turned on):confused:

4. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

If you clone (using Carbon Copy Cloner or SuperDuper!) your existing Leopard install is the drive bootable. It may be an issue with the hardware. Also why are you not simply using the DVD?

5. kasperand thread starter macrumors newbie

So its properly the image thats something wrong with?

I want it to work so I later on can boot the OS from external.

6. kasperand thread starter macrumors newbie

I have now tried another image and another harddrive(powered external) with no luck..

Currently I have no clue anymore:confused:

7. old-wiz macrumors G3

the question in point is still where did you get the snow leopard image? Is it a legit image?

8. kasperand thread starter macrumors newbie

Nope but how come its so important.. It dosen't explain why it isn't working on my computer when a lot of people seems to have no problems..

And before your judgement I just want to see if the jump between leopard and SL is worth the $.

9. Big Dave macrumors 6502

SL only costs $29. I think that is an amazing price. Amazing enough that you shouldn't risk the trouble that comes with piracy.

10. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

If the drive activity light is not on, either there is something wrong with the drive (try and mount it from within Disk Utility in Leopard and Verify/Repair) or insufficient power. You really should pay for it, its not much money.

11. kasperand thread starter macrumors newbie

If I just brought it and wanted to make a image of my own SL and install from/on external HD, im 98% sure there still would be something wrong. At the moment I just want it to succeed, so I can be sure there's nothing wrong with my hardware.

Because of the missing activity light I tried another harddrive powered external, but the sign still pops up.

12. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

13. kainjow Moderator emeritus

kainjow

Please don't ask for help with pirated software here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.