Snow Leopard install issues (Blank Screen)

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Paper Tigre, Sep 16, 2009.

1. Paper Tigre macrumors newbie

Paper Tigre

Hey, I picked up a 13" MBP today, and it's snow leopard disc was a drop in. When I go to install SL, I hold down my C button, I hear my disc drive speed up, down and repeat, and then my screen goes blank (I'm talking for 15 minutes), and the disc i/o just seems to continue.

Upon trying to do an upgrade, I get to maybe a 5% and then poof, blank screen (this one I even let sit for an hour), and from that point my Leopard Install is nerfed (because derp some data was re-written). I'm new to Apple hardware, but I can tell that this isn't whats supposed to be happening, and my Leopard disc boots straight up to the install prompt, and installs.

a.)Has anyone ever heard of this doing? I'm going to assume that it's just a defective disc. If theres some trick i'm not doing, please do tell.

b.)The Apple store will replace this, right?

2. brad.c macrumors 68020

brad.c

Option b, my friend. There's been reports of bad Snow Leopard disks, but since this is a new machine, I'd try for a clean slate.

3. Paper Tigre thread starter macrumors newbie

Paper Tigre

Looks like I get to drive another half hour to the apple store tomorrow :(
    Now, when I go to the apple store, do you recommend me bringing in both the macbook and snow leopard disc, or just the install disc?

4. brad.c macrumors 68020

brad.c

I know, it's a pain, but for a new machine I would expect (as should you) a more positive set-up experience. The next one should be better. :)

Assuming it wasn't a custom order, bring in everything that was inside the MacBook package (slip-in disc included), and politely ask them for a replacement. From there, it'll depend on the Genius assistant/repair manager as to whether to give you a straight up exchange and send you one your way, or to dig deeper into the issue. Worse case scenario, they may try to fix the installation for you, but that's better than you struggling for hours on your own.

Good luck. :)