Snow Leopard install: won't restart

Discussion in 'macOS' started by matt.newman, Sep 1, 2009.

1. matt.newman macrumors newbie

I've searched for this but can't seem to find anyone with this problem (which worries me):

I tried an install of 10.6 today. Everything went fine (although it took a lot longer than I was expecting), until the final restart. I get the apple on the silver screen, and the spinning clock (or whatever, not the colored wheel), and that's it. It just spins forever but doesn't finish the reboot.

Has this happened to anyone else? What do I do now?

2. dissdnt macrumors 65816

dissdnt

It should finish after a reboot. If not hold down ALT and turn on your mac. When you see an option for the CDROM choose that and it will boot off the cd. See if it resumes or if you need to do an install again.

3. matt.newman thread starter macrumors newbie

doesn't work

There seem to be exactly zero keys that are recognized. That is, no matter what key I press during reboot (also tried c) the result is the same: gray screen + apple + spinning indicator. Looking around, this seems to be a very common problem with no obvious solution.

4. gmanterry macrumors regular

gmanterry

Just an observation

I just finished installing Snow Leopard on my Mac Mini an hour ago. I don't know how impatient you are but mine took several minutes to reboot the first time. Go get a cup of coffee, it might just still be working. Then again...

Terry

5. matt.newman thread starter macrumors newbie

maybe

But I don't think 45 minutes is indicative of things working correctly.

6. kanswam macrumors newbie

same problem

I have encountered the same problem with my iMac...after snow leopard installation all I am seeing is the gray screen, apple logo and the revolving thing...

I have switched off and re-started the machine a few times already to no effect.

Appreciate if someone can help me fix this problem.

Thanks
    kannan

7. chas0001 macrumors 6502a

chas0001

Boot the computer while holding down CMD V. It should boot into verbose mode. You should be able to see where its getting stuck.

8. matt.newman thread starter macrumors newbie

This is apparently fairly widespread

Looks like this is not a small problem, but a major screwup by Apple. Lots of posts about this on the Apple forums. The solution may be up to *3* reinstalls(!): http://www.selikoff.net/blog/2009/08/29/snow-leopard-nightmare-3rd-times-the-charm/

(I'm currently in the middle of (only?) my second.)

Talking to Apple, the guy there just told me that apparently Snow Leopard installer is designed to upgrade from 10.5.8, not 10.5.7. Whoops!

9. kanswam macrumors newbie

10. Kate. macrumors regular

That's odd. I upgraded with no problems from 10.5.7.

11. kanswam macrumors newbie

12. matt.newman thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah, the Apple support page for this (http://support.apple.com/kb/TS2990) says something slightly different than what the Apple guy said, but maybe he was just confused. I think this is what happened for me.