Snow leopard install?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by xfactor0707, Dec 14, 2009.

1. xfactor0707 macrumors newbie

so i got the snow leopard upgrade for 9.99 a while back but now is when i have decided to install it. So would it be better to do a clean install or just a upgrade. I just want it to be without any major bugs. If i do do a clean install will i lose all my documents and photos and stuff?

2. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

Search the forum - this has been answered MANY times.
    If you do a clean install, you MUST back up everything to an external drive. By definition a clean install means wiping the hard drive, installing the OS, and reinstalling all files and applications manually.

3. xfactor0707 thread starter macrumors newbie

I also have windows 7 on bootcamp. Would that be deleted?

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Consensus here is that to avoid potential headaches go the clean install. Make sure you have a valid backup since you'll be reformatting the drive and that means losing all of the data.

btw, regardless if you go the clean install or the upgrade you really should have a backup since if something goes horrendously wrong your data will be safe

5. macrem macrumors 65816

macrem

I totally agree with maflynn. I did an upgrade to SL and it went quite smoothly with a well maintained Leopard install, but it only takes a little extra time to clean install & have peace of mind, in which case I would also suggest that you do not re-import your entire ~/Library backup. Rather it would go even smoother if you export your address book, bookmarks, email account settings, etc., back them up onto your backup drive, then after the clean install, re-import aforementioned major settings only. Install your third party apps by getting the latest versions from the software developer. I managed to only need 3rd party stuff that is compiled for SL & 64-bit.

6. madog macrumors 65816

madog

Unless you repartition your drive, you can choose to just erase the Mac partition which would leave the BootCamp partition untouched.