Snow Leopard installation on 17" MBP via the DVD from 13" MBP

Discussion in 'macOS' started by qwerrewq, Mar 15, 2010.

1. qwerrewq macrumors newbie

Hi There,

does anyone know whether it is possible to install Snow Leopard (10.6) on a 2009 MacBook Pro 17 (unibody) with leopard on it via the DVD, delivered with a late 2009 Macbook Pro 13 (unibody) (delivered with Snow Leopard)?

When I insert the disk it shows me the install icon of Snow Leopard but I didn't dare clicking on it because I wasn't sure whether it would work or what would happen if not.

I know it might infringe the license agreement, but I just wanted to know.

Would it also work on a 2008 iMac 20" (aluminium) (10.5 installed now)?

Thank you for an answer.

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Nope.

SL costs 25€ for the single computer license or 49€ for the family pack (5 computers).

Install DVDs coming with the Mac are tied to that specific model.

3. qwerrewq thread starter macrumors newbie

Did you try it

Did you (or sb. else) try it out? Or are you just guessing?

I once tried to install an iBook version of Tiger on a 2001 (?) iMac (first with TFT flatscreen) and it crashed.

The same with a (first aluminium) iMac version of Tiger. It didn't work because it was for Intel and not PPC, it took me about three days to fix it.

4. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Yes, me and others have tried, and I don't guess, I only follow some kind of logic sometimes.

It is a known and proven fact - use MRoogle or the small sister, Google - that the installation or restore DVDs, which are gray, are tied to the machine model they came with.
    So no use in using it on any other Mac than the one they came with or the same model.

If you have an iBook 1.07 GHz, 256MB RAM with Mac OS X 10.3.5, then the 10.3.5 DVD will only work with other iBooks with 1.07GHz and originally coming with 256MB RAM.

5. qwerrewq thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you

Thank you for the explaination, I'll visit a close Apple Store tomorrow. It's just 29$, I think I can afford that.