Snow Leopard Installation on MBA

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Spyderturbo007, Aug 25, 2009.

1. Spyderturbo007 macrumors member

I know this is probably a stupid question, but after about an hour of searching, I can't seem to find the answer.

I purchased a copy of SL that I want to install on my MBA. I know that Leopard can be installed using the remote disk feature since my MBA doesn't have a DVD drive. The problem is that I can't find anywhere saying that SL will support that function. Although I did see that the minimum system requirements require a DVD drive, but it doesn't say anything about a remote drive.

I'm sure it would be stupid if it wasn't supported, but then again you can't installed XP without the SuperDrive.

Please excuse the Mac noob. :D

2. pdjudd macrumors 601

What would give you the impression that it would not be supported?

3. uaecasher macrumors 65816

uaecasher

I'm 99.9% sure that you can install it on MBA

4. mcmanus7 macrumors 6502a

I would agree with uaecasher I would find it highly highly unlikely that it wouldn't be supported.

5. david279 macrumors member

david279

Restore the disk to a external drive or thumb drive using disk util and boot from it. Thats one way you can do it without the need for another mac or pc.

6. Spyderturbo007 thread starter macrumors member

I was looking at the tech specs on their website and it says:

* Mac computer with an Intel processor
    * 1GB of memory
    * 5GB of available disk space
    * DVD drive for installation
    * Some features require a compatible Internet service provider; fees may apply.
    * Some features require Apple’s MobileMe service; fees and terms apply.

I just wanted to make sure that it could be done remotely. I wasn't sure because I read you can't install Windows without having a Super drive.

7. Joined:
    Jun 30, 2009
    Of course it can. That remote functionality allows MBA to see & use another Mac or PC's optical drive as if it were its own. So yes, you can consider that optical drive is the MBA's...