Snow Leopard installer won't launch

Discussion in 'macOS' started by stereoinnocent, Sep 13, 2010.

1. stereoinnocent macrumors newbie

Hi everyone, I have a little problem:
    I have a 27 inch iMac. I'd like to reinstall Mac OS X SL from scratch. I do have the disks that came with the mac, but they got scratched really bad so whenever I put them in, restart the mac and start installing the system after formatting the HDD the installer gives me an error saying, that the system could not be installed. The disks are scratched really bad.
    So I went out and got the Snow Leopard upgrade DVD, put it in, restarted, but I can't pass the Apple logo, I don't even get to the spinning wheel under the logo, it just freezes and the optical drive stops (I hear it stop).
    I've tried pressing "c" while restarting, but nothing works. I've even tried downloading Snow Leopard from torrents and installing from a usb drive - same thing happens.
    Does anyone know how to fix that?
    Thanks in advance.

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

That may be due to the version of Mac OS X came with, which might be 10.6.4 and the SL DVD has only Mac OS X 10.6.3 on it, thus the Mac will not boot from it.

You can contact Apple and get replacement Restore DVDs for 15 to 30 USD.

3. stereoinnocent thread starter macrumors newbie

it came with 10.6.3 and the SL DVD is 10.6
    Well... maybe you are right, but I at least want to be sure that this same problem won't happen with 10.7 when that come out :)

I live in Russia, I don't think they have that replacement thing here, I'll call them tomorrow.

Still, if anyone had the same problem it would be nice if you would let me know why this is happening.
    Thanks.

4. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Maybe the SL version you bought is only Mac OS X 10.6 or any version lower than Mac OS X 10.6.3, as you can't install any version of Mac OS X prior to the one that the Mac came with.

Thus, if a Mac came with Mac OS X 10.6.3, you can't install Mac OS X 10.6.2 or lower (10.5.x, 10.4.x). When Mac OS X 10.7 comes around and you want to install it on your iMac, it will work, as 10.7 is not lower than 10.6.3.

5. stereoinnocent thread starter macrumors newbie

Are you 100% sure about that? Cuz I'm happy to hear that this isn't a hardware or software problem :)

6. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Sure about what? If it is the part about not being able to install a version of Mac OS X prior to the one that came with the Mac: YES.

If it is about 10.7, I don't know, but your Mac is fairly recent to be still supported by the next update.

7. stereoinnocent thread starter macrumors newbie

ok, thanks