Snow Leopard is awesome, so awesome that you should get it!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by wankey, Sep 2, 2009.

1. wankey macrumors 6502a

I can't believe the whiners have outweighed the vast majority of people here on the forums. People who like the OS are not saying anything because hey, it works perfectly... why complain that it works perfectly?

The general consensus is that Snow Leopard is Awesome! Not crap, Vista filled gluttony. It is AWESOME.

It is a Lamborgini Murcelargo compared to Window's Honda Civic. Both are revolutionary upgrades but the Murcelargo is an engineering marvel while the civic sells the most. Saying one is the other is just silly.

Get it straight, Snow Leopard is cool, fast, speedy, and mostly bug free. Not the crap that many people are complaining about.

Expose issues? A minor bug, will be fixed easily if you do a fresh install or wait for the 0.1 patch.
    Spaces stutters? Snow Leopard actually speeds up as you use it and spaces has stopped stuttering now.
    Snow Leopard gets faster! That's right, right after install it definitely does a lot of background things which may make you feel like it is slow. But after a day or two of usage, wow the speed increase is quite obvious.

There are a few small bugs, but there are way too many advantages to not want this upgrade. I've had NO, repeat NO, beach balls since I installed Snow Leopard. About everything on my Macbook Pro now launches in one bounce other than Pages and Word.

So get it, get it now!

2. gusnyc macrumors 6502

I agree 100%

+1

Snow Leopard rocks.

I use CS4 and design software intensively. Everything runs better. The whole system is faster and more responsive.

Just a pleasure to use.

No problems at all. Seriously.

3. ziggyonice macrumors 68020

ziggyonice

People who have problems are always more vocal than people who don't. Just the way it goes.

People don't post very often just to say, "Everything works great!" They post to say when things don't. But in fact, for most, everything does work great... and for that reason, the whiners are the minority. It just doesn't look good when all you see are the minority, when the majority is doing just fine, you just don't see them.

4. alleycat macrumors regular

It's okay if you're spoiled and getting a new Mac every year. Some of us are on a budget, and would like the OS to work on our first generation Intel machines. From what I've read, there are problems aplenty. It might work for you, but it's far from working for me. I'm not loaded down with bloatware, I did all the Leopard updates, I did all the Mac Pro firmware updates, and should be ready for Snow Leopard. Nothing worked as it should for a typical Apple OS upgrade. Clean install had no effect either, which means this is a poor OS. Remember Steve was gone from the company for a while while this OS was developed. Him not being there shows that the Apple developers can't function on their own. The group of Apple developers just shoveled this **** onto DVD without checking platform compatbility with all Intel machines. I believe they might have done it so at a lower price knowing that this OS wasn't going to work for all Macs. That's fine, I just might sell my Leopard disc on craigslist and buy myself lunch. That's about what this OS is worth.

5. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Steve would not have solved the issues with the OS. The thought of him coding is funny to think about it. He's been back, I imagine that they could have fixed some of the minor issues had the waited two more weeks, which he was there for.

6. HBOC macrumors 68020

I cannot speak from experience from having a machine from 06', but my MBP is almost a year old, and SL runs great. I am sure most of the people having problems are people that had Tiger originally.

OFcourse, nothing is going to be perfect on the initial release. This particularly pertains to vehicles. Even BMW or Lexus has some bugs on the first initial release of products. I am sure 10.6.1 will be released shortly.

7. impulse462 Suspended

impulse462

Job's being there may not have solved the issues, but how is Jobs coding funny?

I'm pretty sure he had to, at one point, know a lot of coding to get to where he is today

8. bigjnyc macrumors 601

bigjnyc

If its one thing I learned in life it's that no matter what you do, no matter how great someting is.... you can NEVER please everyone. there is always going to be complainers, dissatisfied people and just plain whiners.... Of course no matter how great something is there is always going to be a few that are defective, nobody has ever achieved 100% quality control so some complaints are legit.... but the majority is just human nature. I've learned to just live with it and ignore it, as long as something works for me I'm happy, if it doesnt work for me I return it or dont use it... whining and complaining hasnt solved anything for me since i was a toddler.

9. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

I am sure that he is capable of coding and clearly at one point he did code. But his roles have drastically changed. My comments were more directed to how Steve could have directly solved the problems the poster expressed.

10. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

Do read up about Steve Jobs when you have some time… trust me… what he knows about "coding" is not much. ;)

Jobs' great talent is "ideas".

11. alleycat macrumors regular

It's more about Steve being there in Cupertino, and breathing down the backs of these developers. If the boss is there, they will work harder to make sure that Snow Leopard works. He wasn't and was nursing his illness during a lot of Snow Leopard's development. So Snow Leopard turns out to be a poor OS, which isn't a shock. No Steve, Apple can't really function at all.

12. cellocello macrumors 68000

cellocello

Yep.

Gates was the software marvel (read The Outliers for an interesting anecdote), Woz was a hardware guru and Jobs was a crazy, driven "big-picture" guy.

Man ... talk about right place, right time, right opportunities, right attitude.

13. AAPLaday Guest

AAPLaday

Wooo go Snow Leopard lol :D This has been the quickest and least painful OS update i have ever had to do. :D

14. Mac1212 macrumors member

i simply dont understand people that complain about SL, well for me it has been much faster and much more easy to use, and it's SOOOO fast

15. Osarkon macrumors 68020

Osarkon

The OS itself works fine for me on my original Core Duo Macbook. The only issues i'm having is with third party software playing the catch up game, namely growl.

Apart from that, everything's fine.

16. santos79 macrumors regular

I am also very impressed with SL's snappiness. But I am was also impressed with Vista 64-Bit, which - despite its bad reputation - was much snappier than XP on new hardware.

It's actually the same people who are complaining: Those with older systems who can't run SL in full 64-Bit mode or who can't run their printers or other peripherals they bought five years ago, because of incompatible drivers.

17. snberk103 macrumors 603

I absolutely agree that people who have a complaint will post to these threads, while people who have no problems will tend to be silent. I have not upgraded to SL, nor will I (at least on my main system and my wife's laptop) because - despite the OP's unbridled enthusiasm - there are serious problems with SL. Not that SL has serious bugs, just that it is incompatible with too many programs and drivers.

I will need to spend at least $1000 (US$ - more in Canadian $) or more to upgrade several programs I use daily, and wait for a new driver for a large format printer, before I can use SL productively. The programs I use and the computer work fine now, and despite several features in SL that I find appealing and can use (and having the hardware that would benefit from SL) .... I can't justify spending that kind of money to get the new SL features.

So, to the OP - keep in mind that there will be number of us Leopard users who are grumpy that we can't take advantage of the SL upgrade, despite it's benefits, because it breaks too many things. Have fun with SL, but please don't claim its for everyone, and that anyone who complains about it is a whiner.

18. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

I don't see your logic. Apple did not secretly create Snow Leopard while Steve was gone in his six month leave of absents. The fact that is having some issues has nothing to do with Steve. Clearly Apple (with Steve) thought that it was ready to be released early. He really did not miss a whole lot of Snow Leopard's development and he still had a hand in while he was gone. He is the visionary not the coder or the customer service team. Snow Leopard isn't a poor OS, you just had some problems, so it might be a poor OS for you.

19. sam10685 macrumors 68000

sam10685

Snow Leopard sounds like it mainly just increases speed and gives you more hard drive space... I got my mac book pro last June 29th and so far I love Leopard just the way it is. When/if the system slows or I need hard drive space, then I'll probably buy it. thats just my 2 cents.

20. Habakuk macrumors 6502a

Impressive. After all what I have read here and otherwhere I've made a Time Machine Backup AND a Carbon Copy Cloner of 10.5.8 prior to the update but it went perfectly. Even my beloved photo editor Adobe (formerly Macromedia) Fireworks CS3 and my old ;-) and working wireless calendar sync iPhone/Mac/Google/CalDAV behave like before.

No joke: Altogether the system is a lot snappier. Thanks that they saved QuickTime 7 (Pro): I love to put together a raw cut of my HD video shots (different files) easily with it (throwing the files on the window – good old QT pastes exactly at the cursor position; and you can trim too).

Unfortunately my MBP's Superdrive (Santa Rosa 3.1, mid 2007) can't read DL DVDs any more so I made the update via a cheap external DVD drive (USB, not too fast so the update needed 1 hour and 30 minutes). Although the Apple telephone support advised strictly against that method it worked flawless and yes: You can boot from a portable USB DVD (SL Install DVD) drive (here: LiteOn).

Snow Leopard rulez :cool:

21. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

Oh, I understand them perfectly, they are mostly made up of people that don't know what the hell they are doing. Most of them are doing a psuedo "clean install", when in fact they are just dumping their old stuff from Leopard back onto SL and expecting it to work perfectly. It's not going to always work perfectly as many of the library files conflict with one another. If you want it done right, don't half-ass it. Take the time and do it right.

If people just erased, reformatted and manually installed their apps instead of being so lazy they would have a much better experience instead of wasting good server space on MR bothering the rest of us with these whiny, unjustified complaints. ;)

22. Richard1028 macrumors 68000

They're just doing what Apple says they can do.