Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Messy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 5, 2010
Is it possible, for the menu bar at the top, to have coloured icons.

Ie is it possible to change the battery logo to a coloured one, similar to the iPhone battery?

Things like the wireless signal bit too, if that could be orange, the airport logo would be awesome.

Can these be replaced for coloured icons?

thanks in advance :)

Messy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 5, 2010

Yes, i've been here, doesn't really answer my question whether or not its possible to change these icons in the menu bar for coloured ones, as stated in the OP.

I know that you're able to change the Apple logo on the far left to a coloured one, which there was a guide to on macthemes.

I've been unsuccessful at changing the airport/wireless and battery icons to coloured, and have seen very little referencing them.

I know it *was* possible a few years ago, but im wondering if someone has first hand experience at trying this, or knows of specific software that can achieve the result im after.

calderone

Cancelled
Aug 28, 2009
Yes it is possible. There are examples on macthemes if you look.

1. /System/Library/CoreServices/Menu Extras
2. Right click Battery.menu
3. Select Show Package Contents
4. Contents/Resources
5. Have fun

Messy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 5, 2010
Yes it is possible. There are examples on macthemes if you look.

1. /System/Library/CoreServices/Menu Extras
2. Right click Battery.menu
3. Select Show Package Contents
4. Contents/Resources
5. Have fun

Yep, tried this, whilst you can edit the images, and potentially display your own, i have not been able to achieve the result i need.

It doesnt appear to be possible to get, for example your wireless icons to be colour. Every time i try replace them with coloured icons they show up as either black, or greyscale.

Try it, i cant get them coloured for some reason.

calderone

Cancelled
Aug 28, 2009
Yep, tried this, whilst you can edit the images, and potentially display your own, i have not been able to achieve the result i need.

It doesnt appear to be possible to get, for example your wireless icons to be colour. Every time i try replace them with coloured icons they show up as either black, or greyscale.

Try it, i cant get them coloured for some reason.

Probably requires a little more finesse. Apple seems to be able to display red for critical battery...

The PDF images you are editing are likely set to grayscale and as such won't display as color images in the menu bar.

Apple is doing it with red, I don't see why you can't do other colors.

Messy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 5, 2010
Probably requires a little more finesse. Apple seems to be able to display red for critical battery...

The PDF images you are editing are likely set to grayscale and as such won't display as color images in the menu bar.

Apple is doing it with red, I don't see why you can't do other colors.

Tried it set to RGB, and CMYK, 8 bit and 16 bit. :(

Not sure why, possibly the type of pdf format PS is saving it in? Hmmm

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.