snow leopard is slower w/ more ram?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by driftnut56, Sep 12, 2009.

1. driftnut56 macrumors newbie

hello all. like many of you i have bought snow leopard. also i went to memory express and got a set of 2GB ram sticks for my macbook pro. so after putting in the 4GB of ram everything feels good... except for when i come to shutdown.

before, it used to shut down almost instantaneously but now that i have added ram it takes much longer. infact the apple loading circle comes up near the lower part of the screen!!

is there something i have to do or should i return the ram and stick with the stock 2GB

2. kasakka macrumors 68000

It probably writes something from RAM to the disk. More cached data means more to write so it takes a longer time.

3. driftnut56 thread starter macrumors newbie

you know, that's what i thought too but when i put the original 2GB nothing changed. it still took too long to shut down. so what i'm thinking is it could be an issue with the snow leopard update that came out just recent.

4. electroshock macrumors 6502a

electroshock

Someone recently had a similar problem. If I vaguely remember the outcome, turns out he had some downrev applications that was slowing down the shutdown process.

Try running AppFresh (free if you don't already have this utility) and let it upgrade every downrev app it finds on your Mac, reboot, then try a shutdown.

5. driftnut56 thread starter macrumors newbie

thanx i am gonna try that

i'll let you know what happens