Snow leopard Issues on Mac Pro

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by TimCollins, Dec 17, 2009.

1. TimCollins macrumors newbie

Annoying issues with SL. Can anyone help?

Quick Stats
    2.66GHz intel xeon "woodcrest", 9GB of ram. nvidia 7300 GT. (any other info available on request)

Issue
    Ever since installing Snow Leopard I have been getting series of screen glitches. Random green/pink noise all over screen, missing top bar etc. Desktop wallpaper takes ages to load, freezing and the machine is extremely clunky. UNTIL I reboot 2-3 times. Then everything works perfectly and is blazing fast! All my apps run fine without trouble.

Should I downgrade back to Leopard, or take it in to microcenter?

Any help would GREATLY appreciated! :)

2. nanofrog macrumors G4

Odd question, but have you tried cleaning the graphics card?

Dust can act like a blanket. Seriously. Then there's the possibility a clean install of SL could fix it as well (assuming you did an upgrade installation).

3. TimCollins thread starter macrumors newbie

I haven't tried that! But will! At one point I was taking it apart and dusting every month, but I've grown lazy. I'll try it! Thanks!

4. nanofrog macrumors G4

I hope it sorts the issue for you, and wish you luck with it. :)

5. TimCollins thread starter macrumors newbie

Still having issues, really don't want to go back to leopard...and nervous about backing up. Anyone one having similar issues??

6. nanofrog macrumors G4

What exactly have you tried so far?

7. seisend macrumors 6502a

seisend

I had pretty similiar problems on my 09 Mac Pro. The culprit was my GT120 graphicscard. I just replaced it with a new one and everything was fine. Sometimes everything just worked fine, and sometimes everything was freezing and super slow. It's maybe just a coincidence that it startet making problems just after the SL installation.

8. nanofrog macrumors G4

Interesting. I wonder if anyone else has run into this?

9. vogelhausdesign macrumors regular

vogelhausdesign

This was the same problem i had with my MacBook Pro 17" with an nvidea card. The problem was the logic board, and had to be replaced, but it was the exact same symptoms you're describing.

10. 21ce macrumors member

Macbook PROS are different...

Yeah i've been having the "scrambled screen" issues too. Thought it may be my video card because I hadn't done any recent upgrades, aside from 10.6.1, and I was having the same screen scrambling side on my windows side.

My cousin's macbook pro had the nvidia video card issue, which was a VERY serious issue that apple even documented and still offers free repairs and logic board replacements for macbook pros purchased in that year...

But this screen scrambling was driving me nuts, I was forced to restart EVERY TIME. I did PRAM/VRAM clears with no luck. It consistently happened with iChat when I would try to adjust the size of a video window. I ended up reverting to the original 10..6 SL.... So far I have not had any screen scrambles and it has been about a day (whereas they were getting bad and happening every few minutes.) I will keep people posted. I really hope it was an OSX issue and not my video card. :confused:

The colors vary, but this is generally what it looks like.

http://img43.imageshack.us/img43/3155/screenshot20091026at303.png

People have had different cards and had this problem which is why it leads me to believe it is not the actual cards themselves.

11. 21ce macrumors member

update

4 Days and not a single scramble or issue anymore... sticking to 10.6 for the time being.

12. TimCollins thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for all the feedback! Its great to hear I'm not the only one...
    I think I am going to put leopard back on, and if the issues continue I'll probably take into the store for a new graphics card. I'll keep ya posted.