Snow Leopard & iTunes - Clean Install

Discussion in 'macOS' started by MKCLLNS, Aug 23, 2009.

1. MKCLLNS macrumors member

I currently have my itunes pretty much the way I like - I have used the rating system and the play count feature etc. alot. BUT I am planning on doing a clean install of Snow Leopard when I get it.

Is there a way to copy this data over on a HDD and then copy and paste it?

2. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Just drag your entire library, xml files and music/videos, then place them in the same location when you are done upgrading your computer. Everything should continue to work, with all information saved. I've done it 3 times on my PBG4 with no problems.

TEG

3. Jolly Jimmy macrumors 65816

Jolly Jimmy

Copy the whole itunes folder, not just the itunes music folder, and direct itunes to it. Simple as that.

4. MKCLLNS thread starter macrumors member

thanks...noob question i know - but i'm learning

5. zwaldowski macrumors member

Copy the /Users/(Username)/Music/iTunes folder back, and hold down Option while starting up iTunes for the first time.

6. uaecasher macrumors 65816

uaecasher

it's ok ;) it also give us a chance to look smart :p

7. CultHero macrumors 6502

just be careful as I just did this moving from Tiger to Leopard (late adopter ;) ) and had some issues. I had to use file - add to library to rebuild for some reason. I use and external drive as a file server for my library though so that may have had something to do with it.

I did get everything working again but it lost all my play counts. That is all though

8. Jolly Jimmy macrumors 65816

Jolly Jimmy

If you point itunes to the folder that contains all the relevant library files and folders (see screenshot) you should have no problems. I recall you saying your thread on this that you tried pointing itunes to the itunes music folder. That would have been the problem.

Attached Files:

9. CultHero macrumors 6502

10. Shake 'n' Bake macrumors 68020

Shake 'n' Bake

You need to deauthorize your iTunes account on your computer if you're doing a clean install, correct? I screwed up on a Dell Dimension 4300S and now I don't have the use of that account anymore.

11. Tex-Twil macrumors 68020

Tex-Twil

what do you mean ?
    edit: I got it : http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1420