Snow Leopard Keyboard Issues?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Hopstretch, Aug 28, 2009.

1. Hopstretch macrumors regular

Hopstretch

Installing 10.6 on my iMac has killed some basic system keyboard functions, including the arrow keys and all Command+ combos. It's the same on both the wired and BT keyboards. Any ideas?

2. weddlec macrumors member

Same here. My keys from above the keyboard row keep coming and going. Its the zxcvbnm,./ row. I installed over the top of Leopard, and then did a full erase. It seems to happen whenever I launch a new app, and then they come back a few minutes later.

3. kohei.april20 macrumors newbie

Keyboard configuration of system preference won't be applied on my iMac. I had had my capslock and control buttons swapped until installing snow leopard, but it does't work now. The driver has a problem? My keyboard is aluminium wired apple keyboard.

4. cwitte macrumors newbie

snow leopard keyboard fiasco

I've had a similar experience on a couple of snow leopard upgrades.
    Short answer: goto system preferences->keyboard and check the "use F1, F2 as standard function keys".

Long answer: Apple support tried to convince me that a macbook pro keyboard coincidentally became defective on the FIRST reboot after installing snow leopard. Insisted that i visit a genius to troubleshoot the hardware.
    I later found the checkbox, which seemed to get defaulted differently after the upgrade. A snow leopard upgrade on a 2009 macpro caused a similar symptom, but did not offer the checkbox for "use F1, F2" as hoped. The macpro had a generic usb keyboard on it. When I replaced the generic usb keyboard w/ an apple keyboard, the magic checkbox appeared. I was able to correct the settings and then revert to my preferred keyboard, working correctly.

5. bilbo--baggins macrumors 6502a

My wired keyboard (plugged into my 20" ACD) has been unresponsive on two occasions since installing snow leopard. On both occasions it's when the display has been asleep (but my Mac is set to never sleep). It requires a password to resume - and the keyboard not working is a bit of a problem when you have to enter a password! Unplugging the keyboards USB cable from the display and plugging it in again fixes the problem.

6. macsnail macrumors newbie

I've had this issue a number of times. I'm using the apple aluminium bluetooth keyboard and this will become unresponsive - although the sound/volume controls do still work weirdly. Disengaging/reengaging bluetooth doesn't solve the problem. Adding a USB (also apple) keyboard doesn't solve the problem - nor does using the onscreen keyboard! The entire keyboard system is disengaged and so-far the only remedy I can find is to restart my mac, which is far from ideal.
    I'd love to find a work-around for this.

Using Snow Leopard 10.6.2, MacMini, 2.0ghz, 3Gb