Snow leopard lags, bZip2 running?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by pit29, Oct 28, 2009.

1. pit29 macrumors 6502a

pit29

Hi all,

For some weeks, Snow Leopard is slow and lagging on my computer (late 2006 MacBook Pro, 10.6.1). Activity monitor shows that a process called bZip2 is eating up around 90% of CPU power. It's owned by root - the only programs I am running is WebKit and Activity Monitor. Actually, when I started the activity monitor, everything was fine, but then (I was just surfing the web) bZip2 kicked in. Even the mouse is laggy sometimes, which is really annoying.

I am wondering two things: why did root launch bZip2? I was not uncompressing / downloading / etc. anything! And will it be safe to terminate the process? Could I even delete the whole program without missing anything?

As always, I appreciate any thoughts...
    Pit

2. belvdr macrumors 603

3. uberamd macrumors 68030

uberamd

4. pit29 thread starter macrumors 6502a

pit29

Nothing that I'm aware of...

It's not running at the moment, but I'll sample it the next time I see it.

5. Catfish_Man macrumors 68030

Catfish_Man

if you do 'ps auxww' in Terminal it should give you an expanded list of processes, which would include bzip2's launch arguments (hopefully including the filename it's compressing).

6. seanbperiod macrumors member

I've been having the same issue.. Here's what is causing it:

/usr/bin/bzip2 -f /var/log/system.log.0

Is there anyway to make this step faster? My fans will be running for at least a half an hour

7. Mumford macrumors regular

Bzip2 should only take a long time if the log file is large. Try taking a look in /var/log/system.log to see how big it is & what's filling it up. Maybe you can correct the problem at the source.

I just checked mine & it seems to be full of Adium JSON assertion errors. Guess I'll be hitting the Adium forums tonight.

8. seanbperiod macrumors member

Ah yes.. Mine is 116 mb..

here is the repeated error i get:

Dec 24 01:49:24 SBP-Macbook FluidInstance[52554]: kCGErrorIllegalArgument: CGSGetWindowBounds: NULL window
    Dec 24 01:49:24 SBP-Macbook [0x0-0x309309].com.fluidapp.FluidInstance.GV[52554]: Thu Dec 24 01:49:24 SBP-Macbook.local FluidInstance[52554] <Error>: kCGErrorIllegalArgument: CGSGetWindowBounds: NULL window

9. Mumford macrumors regular

Looks like Fluid is the problem. I don't really know anything about this app. You might be able to find help on their forums.
    Edit: scanning their forums, seems like there are a few reports of flooding system.log with errors.

10. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

mumford - i know this is an old thread, but thank you very much for that insight into the problem. fluidapp suddenly started chewing through CPU for me. the log file was only at 100KB for some reason but was very annoying, my lap was burning on this old CoreDuo MBP!

thanks again :)