Snow Leopard License--Sell Leopard okay?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Le Big Mac, Aug 6, 2009.

1. Le Big Mac macrumors 68020

Le Big Mac

I purchased Leopard in a retail box. If I install snow leopard using the $29 upgrade, may I sell/give my copy of leopard to someone else? (It will no longer be installed, I'd provide disks, etc.)

Is it too early to know, or does this present some other potential problem?

2. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

No you should be able to sell it. However, if your restore discs are Tiger, that could pose problems.

3. sidewinder macrumors 68020

sidewinder

No, you cannot sell it. The idea behind the $29 upgrade price is that you own a license to Leopard. If you sell that license, you lose that right. If you wanted to reinstall Snow Leopard for some reason, you would need your copy of Leopard.

S-

4. Le Big Mac thread starter macrumors 68020

Le Big Mac

Okay, that's what I thought might be the case.

I have to say I'm somewhat curious why there is not a stand-alone Snow Leopard upgrade from Tiger--only the box with iWork/iLife.

5. jdechko macrumors 68040

Yes and no. With retail OS X, there is no distinction between an upgrade and a full install disk. Every disk is technically sold at the upgrade price because you are supposed to install it on a Mac, which was already sold with a license for OS X. However, it works as a full install because you can install it without a prior version of OS X, and can perform a full install on non-Apple Hardware (hackintosh).

I'd be willing to bet that the retail version of Snow Leopard and the Box set version are identical to both each other as well as previous versions of OS X with respect to upgrading/full-installation rights. Still I agree that you should keep leopard around if you get it for the $29.

I'm sure we will find out exactly how the standalone/box set model works in the next few months, though.

6. sidewinder macrumors 68020

sidewinder

You are incorrect.

The sub $30 versions of Snow Leopard are in fact sold as upgrades. This is different than what Apple has done in the past where they had people buy full versions if they wanted to upgrade their systems to the latest OS. In other words, every disk was not sold at the "upgrade" price as you suggest.

S-

7. Le Big Mac thread starter macrumors 68020

Le Big Mac

And this is why it's different from past upgrades, since it appears to require Leopard to be installed (through some sort of check) for one to use the "upgrade" disk. But there's also no boxed version sold standalone, at least yet.

8. jdechko macrumors 68040

What is your source for this information? I mean, we've speculated and I've even thought that you might be right, that there will be some sort of check, but do we have any definitive information from Apple?

Also, I suggested that for OS X, Upgrade Version = Full Version. There is no distinction with Mac OS X as there is with Windows. IE: No retail box of Leopard (Tiger, Panther, Jaguar) said "Upgrade" on it. This Snow Leopard model is really a first for Apple with OS X (10.1 was free, but that's a different story).

The question that I sort of posed in my second paragraph was, "What are the technical differences, if any, between the retail disk and the box set disk?" Fundamentally, I'd agree with you, a $29 retail copy is an upgrade for Leopard users, while the copy that comes with a box set should be the upgrade for Tiger Users.

9. sidewinder macrumors 68020

sidewinder

My comments require no special knowledge because I am not saying that the package you get from Apple for $29 does not include a full install disk. My point is that the kit sold for $29 assumes you have a legitimate copy of Leopard. This means that you can't sell you copy of Leopard and legally use the $29 Snow Leopard upgrade. The $29 Snow Leopard package is sold as an upgrade.

However, the very fact that Amazon is selling Snow Leopard upgrade package without any way of determining that the buyer owns Leopard, it only makes sense that the install discs check for Leopard when installing. Nothing else makes any sense.

S-

10. sonspot macrumors member

i cannt believe you guys are arguing this, i think the OP should sell his copy of leopard before he upgrades then "DL leopard":eek: just in case he needs it for the upgrade;), yes i said it,.

what the OP is asking is no different than what i just said, just dont make sense to sell the leopard after the upgrade.. might as well DL snow leopard, keep the leopard disk and save the money right..

11. frogslapper macrumors newbie