Snow Leopard -> Lion: import mail and using old interface layout

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by blekm, Jun 25, 2011.

1. blekm macrumors newbie

I've try a Lion developer version.. all works great for me, all software I need works.

Only this: how to import all settings and folders from Mail into Lion?

From Leopard to Snow Leopard I've use this guide http://www.mactutorials.it/site/2005/12/mail-riconfigure-lapplicazione-dopo-una-formattazione/ (it's in italian, but it clear what to do)

I've try this system also into Lion beta but it doesn't work.

Someone can help me? So I can install Lion when it's available for settings immediately :D

Also, I saw the new layout of Mail (like iphone) and i really don't like that.. is there a way, setting to have the classic layout?

2. sheepopo39 macrumors 6502

I'm not aware of any way to use the older mail (or its interface) in Lion. It seems that it conflicts with Mail 5 when launched in Lion and crashes (Used Mail from SL).

3. CyBeRino macrumors 6502a

Yes, there is a setting. It's called "use classic layout.'

4. blekm thread starter macrumors newbie

ok, thanks for that.

Some idea fow to reimport all from Mail into Snow Leopardo?

5. CyBeRino macrumors 6502a

I have no idea what you're talking about. Just upgrade from SL to Lion and it'll take care of itself.

6. blekm thread starter macrumors newbie

When I passed from Leopard to Snow Leopard I've backup all folder for mail and put them to the same place into Snow Leopard and Mail works great, loaded all automatically.

I'd like to do a clean install of Lion, not just an upgrade. So I want to find the way to reimport all details from Mail into Snow Leopard to Lion.

More clear? :)

7. ajcrow93 macrumors member

If you went to: "user/library/applicationsupport/mail",
    copied that folder, then, pasted it into the same place but on the lion install, (user libraries are hidden in lion, so hold option, then find the library in the go menu in the menu bar) would that then work?

To copy settings you would probably have to copy all of the preference files for mail from:

"user/library/preferences"

as well, but I don't know if that would be the best idea as the new version may not like them.

If you're doing a clean install you'll probably need a 2nd computer, or external hard drive too unless you want to partition your drive and keep snow leopard to copy straight over to your fresh lion partition.

OR, if you want to do it quickly you could just use migration assistant. Lets you have a clean install and just copy over individual folders over from your old user login.

also, doesn't mail have an archive function somewhere? Under the mailbox menu i think. You could try using that and then importing it to lion?

Just some ideas.

8. blekm thread starter macrumors newbie

I've tried this, but seems not to works. User libraries are not hidden in Lion, as I remeber.

I'm gonna looking if Mail have an "archive function".

I have also TimeMachine with backup of SL, so I don't need another extrenal drive with installation..

9. CyBeRino macrumors 6502a

First of all, there is no reason to do a clean install. But if you must, have at it.

Second: simply copying ~/Library/Mail* and ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.Mail.* should be enough. Note that the Library directory is hidden. It's still there, just invisible.

If you use IMAP, don't bother and just have Mail re-download all e-mail.

10. blekm thread starter macrumors newbie

maybe when I tried something gone wrong.. you've try this solution?

11. CyBeRino macrumors 6502a

Those are the only places Mail stores anything important. If you delete those, Mail goes to its default state.

12. pksupport macrumors newbie

Import Mail into Lion

I have copied across Mail and all its settings many many times to a new install of OS X; and all you needed was the preferences plist and the 2 folders in ~Library : Mail and Mail Downloads (plus your keychain if you don't want to re-enter all those passwords) Since I have 8 email accounts, this is handy. But I can't get it to work in Lion. Anyone who has, please post. Thanks.

13. tomizza, Sep 15, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2011

tomizza macrumors newbie

how to import mail from snow leopard to lion

well, it did work for me and my 16GB+ mails

1) copy the following files (e.g. from a snow leopard backup) prior to first opening mail.app:
    1a) ~/Library/Keychains/ (folder "Keychains")
    1b) ~/Library/Mail* (folders "Mail" and "Mail Downloads")
    1c) ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.Mail.* (mail preferences files)
    2) then open mail.app in lion ... import/update will follow

if you have opened mail.app prior to the above steps these files (1b and 1c) have already been created, so you have to replace them with your backups from snow leopard described above

if you have set up emails accounts in system preferences "Mail, Contacts & Calendars" you might have to delete them before applying the above steps

similar "solution" for how to import ical from snow leopard to lion

1) copy the following files (e.g. from a snow leopard backup) prior to first opening ical:
    1a) ~/Library/Keychains/ (folder "Keychains")
    1b) ~/Library/Calendars (folders "Calendars")
    1c) ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.iCal.* (ical preferences files, "com.apple.iCal.helper.plist", "com.apple.iCal.plist")
    1d) ~/Library/Preferences/iCalExternalSync.plist
    2) then open ical in lion ... import/update will follow

if you have opened ical prior to the above steps these files (1b, 1c and 1d ) have already been created, so you have to replace them with your backups from snow leopard described above

if you have set up calendar accounts in system preferences "Mail, Contacts & Calendars" you might have to delete them before applying the above steps

14. triplebee, Jul 3, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2012

triplebee macrumors newbie

how to import mail from snow leopard to lion

REGARDING UPGRADE FROM LEOPARD TO SNOW LEOPARD

This helps, but I still need some help regarding mail folders...

or, anyone else have the answer for me???

I REALLY appreciate the help! ;~)

----------