Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

labaom

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 24, 2009
They show their functions like that in Snow Leopard too? It's a feature I like as I use the graphite appearance for them, and it works well, and smaller and crisper is better IMO, though I can understand that it maybe a pain on high resolution displays, but I use keyboard shortcuts for closing/minimising/maximising windows most of the time anyway.

I actually really hated the updated iTunes look, but it's actually really grown on me. When you compare them, the unified look is much sleeker and less intrusive than the chaos of colour look; it does mean that the icons need to be very clear if the names aren't available, but I like it. An OS shouldn't be colourful and garish, it should be something you hardly see as it becomes a background to what you're doing.

Granted animation doesn't fit this motif, but if it's actually giving a sense of what you're doing, then it's actually an important element.

This is why OS X is becoming more and more sleek and usable, while Windows is playing catch-up, as Microsoft are still at the "make it colourful and flashy like a children's toy" stage, and while it's pretty to look at it, it's horrible to use, as minimalist and functional is what we need from an OS, so the focus can be on what I want to do.

Can you not just use Exposé as before if you like? And aren't Dashboard, Spaces, and Fullscreen Apps all handled the same way in Mission Control? So it seems like it's not just a case of Spaces + Exposé.

I don't use Spaces either, but with the unified location I may actually be more inclined to. It also seems an even more elegant way to handle things, as it rolls together Spaces, Dashboard, and both full-desktop and application Exposé in a way that ought to be more useful than ever.

You are right about the functions thing, my mistake. However you CANNOT use normal Expose in Lion. Only App expose. I want to see all my windows. We should at least have the option. But Apple does not give it. I should not be forced to like Spaces. It is the companies RESPONSIBILITY to accomodate users. However, I am not going to accomodate Apple. I will stay with Snow Leopard. If you think about it there are no new ideas.. just redesigns in the Desktop Environment. Meaning there will be no new inovations in OS's I think...

haravikk

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2005
Hmm, that's a bit annoying about not having an the all-windows option anymore, unless there's a key-command we don't know about?

As I've already said; you're not being forced to like Spaces though, they just happen to be grouped in with other full-screen "apps" including the Dashboard, so if you don't have any Spaces, then you won't see any Spaces, it'll just use the space for the full-screen apps instead.

But for those that do use Spaces, or might consider using them, I think it's an improvement, with no major penalty to those that don't. Other than the loss of all-windows Exposé, which is a bummer for me too, but that said, grouping by applications, if it's easy enough, could work just as well, I can't really say for sure without trying to use it day-to-day.

Meaning there will be no new inovations in OS's I think...
The big question really, what innovations do you need? What does the OS fail to do right now? What is currently stopping you from doing the things that you need to do?

While Apple's done a good job of surprising us in the past, I'm not sure that there's a whole lot of new stuff that an OS needs, as we have a good back-up tool built-in, Filevault 2 sounds like an ideal encryption tool, we have Exposé technologies for quickly getting around our messy desktops, and so-on.

I think all the important stuff is therefore covered, so any big improvements are going to be behind-the-scenes. It's much better than having big, sweeping user-facing changes that make it harder to work, which Microsoft are pretty good at pushing into their every release.

kikuchiyo

macrumors member
Jun 5, 2005
Atlanta, GA
However, I have never met anyone that actually uses spaces.

My thoughts are that "I use Spaces." Simplified (only 4) but I use them. I can't say whether Lion's implementation will be better for me or not (though I'm sure I'll get used to it), but maybe your anecdotal evidence isn't all it's cracked up to be?

kdum8

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2006
Tokyo, Japan
My thoughts are that "I use Spaces." Simplified (only 4) but I use them. I can't say whether Lion's implementation will be better for me or not (though I'm sure I'll get used to it), but maybe your anecdotal evidence isn't all it's cracked up to be?

Hear, hear. I also use spaces all the time as do many users. User labaom doesn't know what he is talking about.

JKK photography

macrumors regular
Jul 14, 2009
...However, I am not going to accomodate Apple. I will stay with Snow Leopard. If you think about it there are no new ideas.. just redesigns in the Desktop Environment.

Of course you're not. Stand up to the man. Stand strong, stay thirsty.

But what happens when you have apps that you love being updated with Lion-only features, as will surely happen?

Anyways, lots of innovations. Lots of evolutions. Just because you don't like it doesn't mean you can discount it. I'd say that LaunchPad is innovative for many users.

If you want innovative in the desktop space, then I'm afraid that you're computing in the wrong time. At least for now, every desktop OS seems rather stable, and built around the desktop metaphor. Windows 8 might change that, but I'm not keeping much hope: Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7. We're due for another shitbomb from Redmond.

Frankly, I don't understand some of the reasoning on this board. All of this for $30 (USD)? Hmmm, considering that Windows 7 was a relatively small update to Vista in the grand scheme of things, but it cost $190, this is a good deal.

But maybe that's because I'm relatively new to the Mac. Does Apple usually reinvent the desktop computing metaphor with these updates to Mac OS X?

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
best way

Whats the best way to try out Lion ? After reading this post so far, I do use Spaces heavly, Mission control might not be my thing, & if Resume can't be disabled... that will be a real bummer.

But some of these things... well you have to try to see if it suits you.

Then again, its only $29 .

What do you guys reckon?

Mal

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2002
Orlando
Whats the best way to try out Lion ? After reading this post so far, I do use Spaces heavly, Mission control might not be my thing, & if Resume can't be disabled... that will be a real bummer.

What do you guys reckon?

Go into an Apple Store and test it? There's no trial available, never will be.

jW

haravikk

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2005

What do you guys reckon?
As cap'n Mal points out you can just try it in stores once it's out. Personally for $30 I think there's no reason really not to get it unless losing Rosetta is a deal breaker (even then there are ways to run those apps anyway, and likely someone will come out with a better way at some point too).

If it's not completely convincing then you can always wait a little while; if Mission Control isn't good enough then someone will develop a new Exposé, or find a way to change it back.

Typswif2fingers

macrumors 6502
Feb 17, 2010
Dubai, UAE
I have never met anyone that actually uses spaces.

I am aghast :)

All joking aside - all I wanted to say is:

a) you are the first one that I've "met" who doesn't use spaces... (I use them even on my PC, a very cool Cube Desktop)... Could not live without it... (this was the whinge bit)

b) give it time.. new things take time to get used to...

Merkyworks

macrumors 6502
Oct 14, 2008
Mac-OSX-Lion-FInder1.png

vs.

mac-finder-places-movies.png

So am I the only one that does not like how the left pane of Lion finder window looks compared to SL? I really like the full color apps/folders in SL and like how the menus have that triangle button that lets me collapse and expand the folders. I also much prefer to have my "devices" at the top and not the bottom.

can this be changed at all to look more like SL or am I going to have to change all the icons to custom ones to get that full color look. With Lion and all the folder/app icons being the same color you really have to read the text to make sure your clicking on the right folder or drive ect.

paulsalter

macrumors 68000
Aug 10, 2008
UK

vs.

So am I the only one that does not like how the left pane of Lion finder window looks compared to SL? I really like the full color apps/folders in SL and like how the menus have that triangle button that lets me collapse and expand the folders. I also much prefer to have my "devices" at the top and not the bottom.

can this be changed at all to look more like SL or am I going to have to change all the icons to custom ones to get that full color look. With Lion and all the folder/app icons being the same color you really have to read the text to make sure your clicking on the right folder or drive ect.

SL one looks much better to me

Hate the way everything is so grey (looks like iTunes)...horrible

I also prefer the buttons to look pushed in, as now, instead of pushed out in Lion

lixuelai

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2008
I use Spaces much more on my MBP than my MP. For my MP I have enough screen real estate. Only times I use Spaces is when running VMs. While I don't see it as a deal breaker but SL's Expose implementation was good and I hope Apple at least leaves it as an option in Lion...

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
Am I the only one who likes the monochrome look of Lion's finder?

That said, it is very grey and drab...

haravikk

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2005
I like the Lion look.

That said, I'm also not a huge fan of the buttons; I don't so much mind the active one being "popped out", but on the inactive ones the embossed effects is much too soft; Snow Leopard's button effects are much sharper looking.

I quite like the sidebar in iTunes, and Lion, though I do agree that not having devices at the top is a strange one, as it seems to break the precedent only recently renewed in iTunes where libraries are on top.

That said though; I access the devices a lot less frequently than I do documents, movies, and pictures, so it may actually be a useful change once I'm used to it, and it may actually be better as it means removable devices shouldn't disrupt the layout like they do in Snow Leopard by pushing everything else down.

I think though that the "drab" look is actually a good thing; it's not as pretty, but the very neutral scheme means that it's all very unobtrusive and out of the way, unlike Windows 7 which is throwing as much in your face as possible, and getting in the way as a result, which your OS shouldn't really do.

Yamcha

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2008
I actually really like the new user interface & features in Lion, I've used Developer Preview 3 and I'd say the experience was pretty great, In my opinion better then what Snow Leopard has to offer..

The only downer for me has to be no Rosetta support, and I think Lion uses more memory, so might be an issue if you don't have at least 3-4GB..

PBP

macrumors 6502
May 13, 2011
The slider buttons in Finder are removed in Developer Preview 3 :rolleyes:
It looks like this now, seems fine to me
newmapicon.png

labaom

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 24, 2009
Of course you're not. Stand up to the man. Stand strong, stay thirsty.

But what happens when you have apps that you love being updated with Lion-only features, as will surely happen?

Anyways, lots of innovations. Lots of evolutions. Just because you don't like it doesn't mean you can discount it. I'd say that LaunchPad is innovative for many users.

If you want innovative in the desktop space, then I'm afraid that you're computing in the wrong time. At least for now, every desktop OS seems rather stable, and built around the desktop metaphor. Windows 8 might change that, but I'm not keeping much hope: Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7. We're due for another shitbomb from Redmond.

Frankly, I don't understand some of the reasoning on this board. All of this for $30 (USD)? Hmmm, considering that Windows 7 was a relatively small update to Vista in the grand scheme of things, but it cost $190, this is a good deal.

But maybe that's because I'm relatively new to the Mac. Does Apple usually reinvent the desktop computing metaphor with these updates to Mac OS X?

Oh yea for sure Apple is going to find a way to make things for Lion only. But it would be stupid if they did. Snow Leopard is much different internally than Leopard and Leopard to Tiger. Lion has no inside enhancements. So in reality it could last as long as Lion last. But in Steve Job's world I give it 2-3 more years.

JKK photography

macrumors regular
Jul 14, 2009
Oh yea for sure Apple is going to find a way to make things for Lion only. But it would be stupid if they did. Snow Leopard is much different internally than Leopard and Leopard to Tiger. Lion has no inside enhancements. So in reality it could last as long as Lion last. But in Steve Job's world I give it 2-3 more years.

Sure.

Sounds like you'll be enjoying Windows 8 in a year or so, lol. Vote with your wallet, my friend!

canadianpj

macrumors 6502
Jun 27, 2008
Don't install if you don't like it. The bits about voting with your wallet are right overall I guess. I'm installing, looks fine to me. Not sure why this is a three page thread so far.

If you want to use it. use it. If not, don't use it. Move on.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.