snow leopard + macbook = hotter temperature and more fan noise

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by pier, Sep 10, 2009.

1. pier macrumors 6502

pier

I have a macbook pro late 2007 2.2 core 2 duo. Just installes SL a few days ago.

My fan starts kicking in at 20% cpu load.... and it's hotter than usual. Before I could use a text editor (celtx) with the computer on my lap, but now I can't, it becomes too hot.

Hell, the fan starts kicking in watching a video on youtube...

More people are having this issue.

If you have please post in this thread so Apple notices it
    http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=10068996

People are recommending reseting the PRAM and the SMC. Haven't tried that.

Just noticed the 10.6.1 update... will try it to see if it helps.

2. DAMNiatx macrumors 6502a

DAMNiatx

reset smc and pram will fix it mate, try it first.

3. Grayer macrumors newbie

I'm also very interested in this so if the pram and smc restart work for your and/or the 10.6.1 helps please keep us informed :)

4. greenmeanie macrumors 6502a

greenmeanie

My macbook fans race with youtube now.
    Didn't do this with leopard.

5. pier thread starter macrumors 6502

pier

I updated to 10.6.1 and also did the SMC reset.

So far it works great :)

Yes sorry for the alarmism...

6. -js- macrumors regular

-js-

How does one do an SMC reset?

Ah, I found the support article on it:

resetting SMC

7. Pagga macrumors 6502

Pagga

Closer to the Artic circle than I like to be
    This is definately not a problem with the 17" uni

8. Filipe macrumors newbie

My Macbook Pro actualy come from average 60ºC to 47/50ºC when "iddle" with Snow Leopard

Model Identifier: MacBookPro5,3

9. SolRayz macrumors 6502a

SolRayz

I've done a PRAM and SMC reset and my fans are still idling in the 3-4K range since upgrading from Leopard on my 3,1 MBP.:confused:

10. bdpdx macrumors newbie

same problem

I've got the same problem as described above. Macbook pro 15 and the fan speed is minimum 3000rpm, audible. Much faster since I installed SL. Tried the PRAM and SMC methods, didn't work. I hope Apple gets on this soon!

11. ncsmith4 macrumors 6502

Same thing going on here. Same loads as under Leopard, the fans are in high gear. YouTube PARTICULARLY...

12. vtecman macrumors newbie

I find that when i upgraded my alum macbook, the fan is fine, but when i upgraded my wife's white macbook (core duo) her fan is always on as well...

13. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

Maybe apple goosed the fan speed after replacing all of those nvidia 8600 chips...:D

14. justit macrumors 6502a

Same here on my whitey

15. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

My temps on my MBP are hovering around 42c and they seem to average between 45 - 55c depending on the task. I've not noticed any difference after the SL upgrade. Exactly the same for me

16. dgb macrumors newbie

SMC and hot MacBook

The SMC reset did the trick for my Black MacBook early 2008, which started to run its fan for almost any task after installing SL.

Curiously though my Intel Powerbook (which can't take SL of course) has also started to run hot, so maybe something has been transferred between the two machines? Haven't tried to fix the PB the though.

17. fup4000 macrumors member

fup4000

snow leopard + macbook = hotter temperature and more fan noise

I know i am late to the party...but have this issue been fixed??:confused::confused:

18. zeroq macrumors newbie

My late 2007 black macbook/Leopard pretty much has always kicked up the fan speed (to around 6000 RPM+) whenever I watch any type of video including Youtube or any open web page with any kinda moving images...

I'm getting ready to upgrade the HD and do Snow Leopard clean install. I was hoping this would help with the fan noise etc but mahbe not...?

Why is Macbook fan noise so much more noticeable and annoying than others? Fan noise was never in my daily thought stream before I got a Macbook... but now it's my annoying cousin who follows me around everywhere.

19. Pax macrumors 6502a

The old Macbooks had pretty poor thermal design IMHO. Mine is the same, as soon as the CPU starts working hard the fans really kick in and the hairdryer effect starts. I don't think there's much you can do about it. The unibodies are miles better in this regard.

So there's nothing wrong with your Macbook, that's just the way it is. I don't think Snow Leopard will help.

You could try the Flash 10 beta, that uses a lot less CPU than Flash 9 (go to the Adobe site and search around, can't remember where it is). Or use a Flash blocker like ClickToFlash for Safari or FlashBlock for Firefox. They help a lot.