Snow Leopard Macbook Pro Sleep Problem - Help!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by JamesP12345, Oct 7, 2009.

1. JamesP12345 macrumors newbie

Hey,

I've just upgraded to 10.6.1 from leopard. Whilst on leopard I had no problems at all with my Macbook Pro (Early 2008, 2.5Ghz) and for the most part snow leopard seems to work pretty well. However I'm having some issues with sleep that I really need some help with.

To start with my computer wouldn't even shut down properly after installing snow leopard; it would shut down for 3-4 seconds and then restart of it's own accord. I've tried a few solutions that I've seen in forums for people with similar problems (such as reset PRAM, SMC, repairing permissions and deleting certain PLIST files) and now my mac will properly shut down, but still not sleep correctly.

Now my mac will only sleep if it is on battery power and i activate sleep by closing the lid, if I activate it in the :apple: menu or if the power cord is connected (by any method of activating sleep) then my mac will sleep then 3 seconds later turn back on. As far as I'm aware I've got no programs that are causing this and I have turned all network and bluetooth 'wake' demands off. I also have nothing connected to my mac.

Below are the three relevant system logs:

Battery 'Lid' Sleep (working):
    Battery ':apple: Menu' Sleep (not working)
    Power cord ':apple: Menu' Sleep (not working)
    Sorry about the long message, although I know my way around a Mac i'm no expert so would really appreciate any help you guys can give me.

Thanks in advance!

2. allpar macrumors 6502

Can I wake this one up? I have the same problem.

3. ojoink macrumors newbie

Same exact issue is happening to my MacBook Pro (latest 2009 model). Any promising leads to a solution, yet?

Snow Leopard 10.6.2 here.

4. G4DP macrumors 65816

My wife's July 2009 MacBook Pro had the same problem, I found out the easiest way was to jut reinstall SL over the top of everything.

5. allpar macrumors 6502

I can tell you my troubleshooting tips --

1) Use kernel.log (in Console) to tell you WHY it was waking up.

2) Create new blank account and see if it happens when you're in that. If not, then it's something in your /User/___/Library area.

3) If that doesn't tell you anything useful, back it up completely (clone drive), then reformat the hard drive and reinstall an OS. Does it still happen? If so, drag it to the Apple Store because it's hardware. They might charge as little as $340 to replace whatever needs to be replaced, or they might do it for free (as they did for mine). If it doesn't happen, either repopulate your system or restore it and keep hunting things down. Some places to look:

Extensions folder (use Lingon, etc., first.)
    Startup Daemons (two folders - system library, user library)
    Preferences (for Canon scanner drivers)
    Startup Items (two folders again)
    System Configuration (Energy Saver, etc.)

Calling Apple MIGHT help if you're under warranty OR bought Snow Leopard recently. You might even want to buy another 10.6 disc just to get the tech support that comes with it!

6. SolRayz macrumors 6502a

SolRayz

I've been having sleep issues with SL on my mid '09 mbp aswell, but I haven't fully isolated the cause. I have a feeling it may be related to Time Machine backup scheduling a backup and simultaneously not having my TM external drive connected. The system.log show a consistent pattern of TM logs and errors. I will try to post these when I get home. So far it seems that if I disable TM, the sleep schedule is restored, and the logs go away.:confused:

7. allpar macrumors 6502

The logs are definitely your friend; but the one to look for is not the one console shows by default - kernel.log shows the cause of waking.

8. santi68 macrumors newbie

problem to wake my MacBook Pro after automatic sleep

Dear All,
    I have a problem with my MBP 17inch. It is new so Snow Leopard was already installed when I bought it. The computer seems to work fine. I can put it "in sleep" from the "apple" window and in this case I can wake it by touching the keyboard or the mouse. But if it goes in "sleep" in automatic, it goes in a sort of "coma" state:
    1) the led light is not flashing (it is always swithed on)
    2) it is impossible to wake the computer by touching the keyboard or the mouse
    3) for some time it is also impossible to force the shutdown by using the switch on/off key

After some time I can switch off it by using switch on/off key and after it restarts.
    I already reset EVERYTHING, runned the diagnostic with NO error report

Please can Someone provide me some useful hint and/or help? I am quite frustrated
    all the best

9. kolax macrumors G3

Tried resetting the SMC and PRAM?

10. santi68 macrumors newbie

Thanks but I alreade made these resetting procedures with no success

11. kolax macrumors G3

Got any hacks installed (such as InsomniaX which prevents sleep when the lid is closed).

Also, are you running a torrent application? Transmission by default prevent your Mac from sleeping if there is active transfers.

12. santi68 macrumors newbie

No, I have not installed anything like this

No not running any torrent application. Finally I decided to re-install snow leopard. I'll inform you about the final result.

I am so frustrated about this. I was a so strong supporter of Mac...

13. Balooba macrumors member

First, make sure that...

If you have sleep issues with a MacBook Pro or MacBook, first try these steps. You'll need patience since you'll change something and then not touch it until its supposed to go to sleep.

1. Quit Safari, this app often prevents sleep
    2. In Prefs / Sharing turn off file sharing, screen sharing etc that forces the computer to stay awake and listen
    3. If your problem is specific to being connected to A power adapter, turn off "awake on network activity" in the Energy Saver settings
    4. Remove third party helper type processes that forces it to stay awake and listen. EyeTV for example installs such a deamon called EyeTVHelper. Check your Activity Monitor.
    5. Quit all other apps and unplug iPods or other USB devices.

Not until these steps are taken is it time for more serious trouble shooting or calling Apple. The steps above deal with processes that are supposed to prevent sleep.

14. allpar macrumors 6502

Good advice. In my case Apple replaced the logic board for me - but still good advice.

Amusingly my actual problem was due to the video camera cable; I know this because they swapped out the logic board and USB interconnect but got my macbook pro confused with someone else's and replaced the DVD drive instead of the cable. Then it had to go back for the cable which fixed it.

They did that for free, two months out of warranty, but when the new system board failed a few months later, I had to pay $340. Is that irony or what?