Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ClassicBean

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 20, 2004
Torontoland
I'm having a problem with Apple Mail. It won't let me open .doc attachments in a compose window, yet I can open .docx attachments without issue.

For example, when I compose a new message and attach a document, I like to double click the attachment within the message to confirm that I'm sending the right file to my client.

With 10.5, this wasn't an issue. Everything opened as expected.

But with 10.6, I get an error message that says "Mail was unable to save the attachment "file_name" to disk. Verify that your downloads folder exists and is writable."

Again, this is ONLY happening with .doc files and it happens no matter which account in Mail I choose to send from. Any ideas?

Attachments

• Screen shot 2009-09-01 at 8.50.15 AM.png
    Screen shot 2009-09-01 at 8.50.15 AM.png
    24.1 KB · Views: 96

netnothing

macrumors 68040
Mar 13, 2007
NH
Same problem here. Works with .xls files.....not with .doc files.

Very odd!

-Kevin

tbfinn

macrumors newbie
Sep 6, 2009
Gold Coast, Australia
Mail attachments

I'm having the same problem but only with some .doc files, not all. As far as I can tell, there's no identifiable difference between those it will accept and those it won't.
When I send the e-mail and the problem attachment, the recipient is able to open the attachment without any difficulty.

RobT

macrumors 6502a
Dec 20, 2007
Ohio, USA
+1

Me too on this since SL.

Apple discussion boards have it represented as well. Seems like a bug experienced by many that needs squashed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.