Snow Leopard - Mail hides on startup!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by fabian9, Aug 21, 2009.

1. fabian9 macrumors 65816

fabian9

Guys and girls,

Apple has finally achieved to enable hiding Mail.app on startup if this option is ticked in System Preferences/Accounts/Login Items. As far as i know this has been an ongoing issue for a LONG time, certainly in Leopard and Tiger?

I think this on its own makes it a worthwhile update...

Fabian

I'm starting to question the state of my sanity considering it looks like I'm the only one around here that is excited about this. :eek:

2. amirite macrumors 6502a

I noticed this too. However, I think it's absolutely ridiculous that Apple took this long to fix something so trivial.

3. fabian9 thread starter macrumors 65816

fabian9

Damn right! Aw well at least it's been done finally, so don't want to complain. :)

4. doctoree macrumors 6502

I noticed it as well, it's great. But of course Apple is to lazy to make a patch for Leopard with this, so those poor Leopard users will have to kill the Mail window forever.

5. devburke Guest

Launch and Hide Mail script that's been running at login, you've served me well, but... well I've found a better way.

6. J the Ninja macrumors 68000

The funny part, is if you have "ShowHidden" enabled in the Dock's plist file, which makes the icons of hidden apps transparent, you can see that Mail actually does start hidden, then it promptly un-hides itself.

Thank God this is finally fixed. Wow, that was shameful. I was really starting to think it was never getting fixed.

7. martynmc7 macrumors regular

Thank god thank god thank god!

I've always hated this, it's seemed the stupidest little bug for the longest time and now it's fixed!

8. MacManiac76 macrumors 65816

MacManiac76

I tried this the other day on my Leopard 10.5.8 system and Mail hides on startup there too. I just gave it a shot after hearing about this being fixed on SL and thought maybe they fixed it in Leopard too. Seems they implemented the fix in 10.5.8 too.

9. fabian9 thread starter macrumors 65816

fabian9

Ah, good find!

I'd also been using the Mail Launch and Hide script which did the job for me in Leopard, so didn't notice it had been fixed in 10.5.8.

:)

10. dam0dred macrumors regular

dam0dred

Hallelujah! This has been bugging me for years.

Way to go, Apple code monkeys. Worth the 29$ right there. :p

11. devburke Guest

Holy **** he's right! Great Googly-Moogly!

12. FSMBP macrumors 68020

FSMBP

Holy crap...this is amazing. I can't believe Apple got this to work finally - it was going paranoid for a while in Leopard while I checked "Hide" for Mail and it would still show.

Good find, thanks!

13. email68 macrumors regular

Can someone explain this to me? I've read it three times and don't get it... :confused:

14. devburke Guest

You can tell OS X to open certain apps automatically when you login, and there is a box you can check to make them open "hidden", which is the same as when you say to hide an app, basically making it open but invisible until you activate it. There has been a very long-standing bug in OS X (I don't know how far back it goes, I only got a Mac during Tiger) that the option to open Mail hidden at login would simply not work. This was very annoying, especially for an app like Mail, which is probable the single most likely built-in app to OS X that a user would want to start automatically at login in the background (hidden). And apparently, they've finally fixed the bug!

15. email68 macrumors regular

Thanks for the explanation.

-Tim

16. devburke Guest

Waaaait a minute, no he's not. Still not working for me. Guess I'll have to wait for SL.

17. MacManiac76 macrumors 65816

MacManiac76

Well on my Leopard 10.5.8 system it certainly does hide on startup. Some others here too must agree as you are the only one that has posted that it doesn't work still.

18. devburke Guest

When I first tested it I thought it worked, but it turns out I just wasn't giving enough time to pop up before I clicked the dock icon and ruined the test.

19. Richard1028 macrumors 68000

Ok. Assuming I'm doing everything right, this isn't working for me in 10.5.8.

My Mail login item is checked as "hidden". After I start my mac and login with a password the Mail app starts and retrieves my mail. After that I'm still staring at a list of my Inbox.

Is this thing supposed to minimize?

20. devburke Guest

Well what it's supposed to do is hide. This doesn't minimize, as all the windows are still there full-sized, but they're invisible until you activate the application. Try this out in any app by pressing cmd-h, clicking the app's name in the menu bar and telling it to hide, or right clicking it's Dock icon and telling it to hide. So when it launches, you're never supposed to see it until you ask to.

However, the bug that has been around for awhile is that Mail refuses to start hidden on login. This is being fixed in SL, and according to MacMania76, was fixed in 10.5.8. I thought he was right at first, but upon giving Mail more time to open, it turns out it had just still been launching, and it still doesn't start hidden.

21. Richard1028 macrumors 68000

I know. I saw your response and assumed it was finally working for you in 10.5.8 like he said.

Ok, this tells me I'm not bonkers at least.

22. uaecasher macrumors 65816

uaecasher

23. devburke Guest

Hence the thread.

24. dani.meier macrumors newbie

And they broken other startup items!

Since they fixed the mail issue, my startup volumes and IChat are not hidden anymore. That sucks!

25. mabaker macrumors 65816

mabaker

Bumbing this thread cuzz I was absolutely STUNNED when I bought my new mac mini with SL preinstalled just to find out that THE MAIL APP IS AT LAST HIDING.

After 5+ years Apple has managed to pull this off.

Incredible.:D