SNOW Leopard - Mail problems?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Sparatik, Sep 2, 2009.

1. Sparatik macrumors newbie

Just installed Snow two days ago. Runs great, so far. As of today, when I try to send mail from Mac Mail, something strange happens every so often.

I get a message saying it can't send the message because the SMTP options have not been set. They are in fact set, and Mail has been functioning normally until installing Snow.

Anyone having this problem, and how did you fix? All my server settings are in place so I'm not sure what else to change.

Thanks,
    Nichole

2. MKCLLNS macrumors member

I had this problem - I have a google mail account if that help.

I had an error message with stmp - this is how i fixed it:

Mail> preferences > Accounts tab > Advanced sub-tab

and I had to change 'authentication' to 'password'. Click this then enter your email and password again.

Then should be fine.

I don't think I had it set like this on Leopard - but guess it's just a Snow Leopard "feature"

hope this helps :)

3. jive turkey macrumors 6502

I'll add that every time I restart Mail it resets my outgoing SMTP to a setting that doesn't work. It isn't a huge deal since I only close Mail if I absolutely have to (like forcing to power down during a storm), but it is annoying. I'm just letting you know that you may have to do this more than once.

4. MKCLLNS macrumors member

i've only had to do it once. are you sure your saving your settings?

5. Don Jusko, Apr 15, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2011

Don Jusko macrumors newbie

Don Jusko

Mac Mail problem

Yesterday I got a notice to update my Snow, I did and I got a new 4.5 Mail (from 4.4) Now opening Mail (POP) the window doesn't show and none of the choices in the Menu bar work. I see a lot of problems have arisen from 4.5 but instead of fixing it, it's still downloaded.

Is this fixable?

6. Don Jusko, Apr 16, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2011

Don Jusko macrumors newbie

Don Jusko

Mail 4.5

I couldn't find a way to get email notification without reposting. In these politically troubled times I really need my email so I hope someone can help.