Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chocolate632

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 27, 2007
This is the most random problem I had with my Mac. I usually keep it on sleep, and last night at 1:30Am it wakes up. The drive spins, but the screen is black. The sleep indicator light turns off, then the computer puts itself back to sleep. It also happened twice this morning. What's going on here?

superted666

Oct 17, 2005
I had this issue,

I think its when you have wake on lan enabled.
Something like ATV spins up your disks to check its still in sync maybe?

chocolate632

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 27, 2007
I don't got an Apple tv, and where can you find the "wake On LAN" option? Is it enabled by default

broken-chaos

macrumors regular
Sep 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
Wake on network access is found in the Energy Saver pane in System Preferences. Unchecking that option may prevent your computer from waking up as it's doing - as I do believe it's enabled by default.

Attached picture shows the option (...I just had fun with Preview's Annotate option).

Attachments

• wake-for-network.png
    wake-for-network.png
    83 KB · Views: 75

ab2650

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2007
I don't want to thread-jack, and I'll probably make a post of my own after I'm done searching, but...

Anyone know of a way to keep WOL turned on but *not* have the computer intermittently wake up? I have a Mini as a media system in the bedroom and ever since it's been upgraded to SL, it wakes, clicks and whirs, then falls back asleep.

macrumors 6502
Jan 28, 2008
UK
when i had leopard my iMac used to wake up a lot, but since Snow Leopard I ALWAYS have to shut it down now. it drives me mad. it can't stay asleep for more than 15 minutes. :mad: I've reset the PRAM and SMC and all that, reinstalled Snow Leopard, googled, checked surge protectors. god it drives me mad.

rockinstlouis

macrumors newbie
Jan 23, 2010
Apple Support Article

I didn't know why this happened until I found the article today..

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3774

Half way down it says this.. check it out..

"Macs that have Wake on Demand enabled will occasionally wake for a brief time, without lighting the screen, in order to maintain registrations with the Bonjour Sleep Proxy. On some Macs, sounds from the optical drive, hard drive, or fans may be heard during these brief maintenance wakes."

So, if you want this feature on.. I.E, for ARD.. It looks like you'll have to deal..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.