Snow Leopard, Memory and HD Upgrade for A1181

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by DickieUK, Sep 12, 2010.

1. DickieUK macrumors newbie

DickieUK

Hi,

I have a 2008 13" MacBook (A1181) which I love and have been using since purchased in February 2008. I was new to Macs then and so have played around with many different software packages installing/uninstalling various add-ons. I now plan to backup and start afresh with snow leopard, bigger hard drive (as I've filled my current one and new memory. I am competent doing these things with PC's but as it's the first time doing it on a Mac I wanted to check to be sure.

What I am planning to do is back up my entire 250GB hard drive with Time Machine to an external USB drive. I then plan to install a new 500GB hard drive, replace the existing 2GB of memory with 4GB (purchased from Crucial) and install snow leopard from a retail disc i will be purchasing.

A couple of questions really:

1. Are there any issues I should be aware of by upgrading all these elements at once?

2. Are there any recommendations anyone can offer for a new hard drive? I have looked into a Western Digital WD5000BPVT but read a couple of stories of people having issues with these. Should i stick to 5400rpm or is 7200rpm a viable option?

Any help from people with experience in these fields would be greatly appreciated. Hoping to give my great little MacBook a new lease of life with all these planned upgrades.

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

3. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

I'd vote for a 7200rpm drive. It's going to be even faster and not that much more expensive... certainly worth the extra price, IMO.