Snow Leopard memory leak

Discussion in 'macOS' started by dmelgar, Sep 6, 2009.

1. dmelgar macrumors 68000

I'm running SL, haven't rebooted in several days.
    I have no desktop applications running.
    I'm on a MBP 13" w 4GB RAM.

Activity monitor is reporting 2.21GB memory active, 908.5MB wired. 106MB free.

Most unusual, is that I do not see any application in Activity Monitor using much real memory, yet it reports 2.21 GB memory active. I have had as much as 1.4GB swap space used, with no obvious culprit.

Any idea where the memory is going?

Thanks

2. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

That's how OS X RAM management works. It caches your previously used data so that when you need it again its loaded much faster.

3. iAlexG macrumors 6502

iAlexG

I too have been having problems with my RAM (Specs below, my macbook was built to order so i have not upgraded myself). Right now iStat Menu is reporting 247mb being used!!!!! and Safari is using a lot more than usual too, 219mb!!!/Users/Alex/Desktop/Screen shot 2009-09-06 at 10.14.54 PM.png

Attached Files:

4. dmelgar thread starter macrumors 68000

Thats how its supposed to work for "inactive" memory, not "active" memory. Active memory is supposed to mean that someone is currently using that memory. With it swapping out 1.4GB, the system was crawling. Certainly not a good thing when there should be tons of free memory.

5. dmelgar thread starter macrumors 68000

Doesn't sound unusual at all. Those numbers are small and typical or even on the low end.

6. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

Well its also worth noting that almost every app that comes with Mac is now 64 bit and thus uses about twice as much RAM as their 32 bit predecessors.