Snow Leopard Migration Assistant - No Option for Only Some Apps Back ?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by siam, Sep 27, 2009.

1. siam macrumors regular

I am looking at installing Snow Leopard ( Erase and Install ) and I wanted to use the Migration Assistant to migrate back only Some of my previous Applications , but ive just watched a video showing the installation, and I noticed that when you come to the migration assistant part, you are only offered the option to migrate back All of your applications, I would like to only migrate back some of my previous applications that are on my Time Machine external HDD backup. Is there a way I can do this ..?

Thanks

2. fartheststar macrumors 6502a

fartheststar

For Snow Leopard, my recommendation would be to:

actually erase and install - as in, erase and re-install your software from the original DVD's. This will keep your system cleanest

or

Remove the software you don't want before you upgrade, then Upgrade. Do not bother to use the Time Machine backup. This is a better way to do what you want in my opinion.

Doing a full re-store from your time machine backup means you're losing the benefit of the clean install. By trying to only do 'part of the time machine restore' it's going to end up a mess.

3. siam thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for your reply , you comment about ...

Doing a full re-store from your time machine backup means you're losing the benefit of the clean install.

If you do an Erase and Install , then migrate every thing back from my Time Machine external HDD backup,you will be left with a fresh Snow Leopard version plus all the old applications and settings etc from the previous version .

Whats the difference with the above method and just upgrade installing Snow Leopard over the existing system, where you will still get the new Snow Leopard version and all the old settings ..? Am I missing some thing:)

Thanks

4. fartheststar macrumors 6502a

fartheststar

Hi Siam,

What i meant to say is that I think there's no difference between doing an 'upgrade' and what you're trying to do, it's just that your way (from time machine) takes way more effort.

The benefit of an erase and install is that everything is clean. Basically, after that, if you want the cleanest system, you would install everything from DVD's.

Others: Please chime in if you think differently.

5. chocrock macrumors newbie

Selective Installation of Apps with Migration Assistant

I just made a wonderful and simple discovery. If you want to move over some of your apps from an older Mac , but not all of them, (as has been mentioned here and on other forums) simply move the apps you don't want to move out of the application folder on the old Mac to a different location. I used a folder on the desktop and all the apps I moved there were not installed on my new Mac.

It's so refreshingly simple that it feels like the old days of OS 9 (and beyond) when you could easily fool the system.

How this works with Time Machine I am unsure.

Good luck!

6. fhall1 macrumors 68040

fhall1

If you aren't going from old machine to new machine, but trying to "clean up" your existing machine - maybe use this technique to move the apps out of applications (maybe clean up startup and login items while your at it) - do a TM backup, then a clean install of the OS, then a TM restore?