Snow Leopard mouse freezing

Discussion in 'macOS' started by mackmgg, Jun 28, 2009.

1. mackmgg macrumors 65816

mackmgg

Anyone else having the problem where the mouse will freeze, and you will have to restart the computer to get it to work? I have the newest build of Snow Leopard and the mouse button and trackpad stop working randomly. The keyboard continues to work, and I have to restart the computer. I have Leopard installed too, but its so slow to go back to I'm hoping someone knows what might be wrong.

2. macJC50640 macrumors regular

Snow Leopard has not been released yet, so I'm assuming you have the developer preview? :confused:

3. Catfish_Man macrumors 68030

Catfish_Man

Please file a bug at bugreport.apple.com, particularly if you have any ideas on what to do to trigger it. (I need to do this myself... perhaps I'll have time this evening)

4. Josef19 macrumors newbie

It's happening to me too. It starts working again after a few minutes so you might not have to restart.

5. cooltech786 macrumors newbie

Plug in a mouse - starts working again

If you plug in a USB Mouse while its frozen...it starts working again. Anyone have any better solutions? Carrying a USB Mouse around is kind of annoying.

6. glasserp macrumors regular

Waiting until the OS is ready for public release.
    Not using it as your main OS.

Until then you might be out of luck.

7. mackmgg thread starter macrumors 65816

mackmgg

Even with the slowdowns of not being abe to use the mouse occasionally, its STILL faster then Leopard. As to reproducing it, try leaving your finger in the same spot on the trackpad for a little while.

8. uberamd macrumors 68030

uberamd

9. JD9 macrumors newbie

This happens to me too, but only for a few seconds.

It just randomly happens sometimes

10. mackmgg thread starter macrumors 65816

mackmgg

Just started with 10A394, I'm hoping apple will fix it in another seed, hopefully through Software Update now that they have that working.

11. discosoap macrumors regular

Yep

It's happening on my 2006 macbook with 10A394 as well. Only 1) waiting (up to a minute), 2) restarting & 3) hitting all keys on my keyboard rapidly and randomly seems to work. Waiting for 10A400... :rolleyes:

12. The JTizzle macrumors 6502

The JTizzle

Had it also twice when in safari clinking through a photo gallery on a music website.

13. 5683565 Suspended

Thought I'd just throw my bit in..

I've been getting trackpad freezing issues for many seeds now, it's incredible frustrating, but I haven't been bothered to figure it out. Like someone said, just have both Leopard and Snow Leopard installed on separate partitions to avoid relying on SL. God I hope they fix this via Software Update :-S

14. ACiB708 macrumors regular

Hasn't happened to me, but try copying your IOUSBFamily.kext file from Leopard to an external hdd and overwrite the one in Snow Leopard, see if that works. You are a developer, most likely you know where that file is. And please file the bug report to Apple.

EDIT: If you do as I told, you'll likely have a working trackpad again, but if you have a non-unibody Mac then Snow Leopard will lose the 4 finger gesture functionality because the IOUSBFamily.kext file found in Leopard for non-unibody Macs does not have 4 finger gesture support. You can add it, though. In the other hand, if you have a unibody 4 finger support will still be there.

15. soulgrnd macrumors newbie

trackpad fix

I haven't seen it happen yet with 10A402 but it was happening relatively often with the previous build... the best solution I found was covering the trackpad completely with my hand which resets the pad itself (or so I was told) it fixes the issue everytime.

16. abhs macrumors newbie

it has happened to me once or twice with 10a402.. but that's not nearly as common as before

covering the trackpad works

can someone upload the iousb kext? i don't have leopard, and i don't use 4 finger gestures. thanks

17. uaecasher macrumors 65816

uaecasher

I have been using Snow leopard since WWDC and the only problem I'm having that expose lags some times